• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Choke Loaded Const. Current Draw Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was looking at the constant current draw amplifier (Broskie labels it the CCDA) and wondering if I could realize this design using chokes. The reason being to preserve it's performance at lower B+ where resistor loading drops too many volts. So the anode of the input valve is choke loaded and the cathode of the output valve is choke loaded.

And I got to thinking that the possibility of both dc and ac constant current draw through these two chokes allows the use of a dc-balanced transformer. Typically a transformer without a 'gap' has fewer tradeoffs in performance.

Note: output is from the cathode of the 2nd valve.

What advantages and disadvantages do you see with this ?

Attachments

• CL_CCDA.jpg
    CL_CCDA.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 272
Note that two chokes wound on the same core is normally called a transformer.

isn't that what I said :confused:

Coupling the two stages together with a transformer as well as a capacitor could have interesting results.

that's what I'm thinking - but not sure exactly what it means!

Looks like the 1st stage will have a problem driving the grid since it has got both AC phases fighting each other in the xfmr. I tried moving the xfmr sec. to the output plate but the problem then is with the DC.

On second look, I think it does work if you move the secondary to the output plate. (undotted end to the output plate) Needs an attenuation for the output grid drive then. Just a self splitting class A P-P then.

Last edited:
The load impedance seen by the plate of the 1st tube will be something like 1/gm of the second tube due to the xfmr phasing. (almost a dead short, so nearly zero output) What you have is a Schade neg. fdbk. setup with 100% Nfdbk.

Normally an AC load on a constant current setup would cause the current balance to be thrown off, but here I don't think any output can be generated to unbalance it.

Keep experimenting, maybe something different. Could try the primary in the cathode side of the 1st tube. Looks like that will work for AC and DC.

Last edited:
I have found sims to be really great predictors of functionality. Swap the K factor around a bit and see your gain go from 30dB to -5db with the hookup you mention. This strikes me as a red flag for a quirky design and the only thing to do is build it and see which sim is right :)

dave

I tried it with perfect coupling coefficient and the gain (c.f. input) is still positive although lower. But transformers aren't perfect and gain is likely to be achieved with a practical unit. I guess the coupling coefficient determines the level of schade feedback, but distortion doesn't seem to be that much different.

Anyhow, I've attached my spice model (change file extension from .txt to .asc before running it under LTSpice)

Attachments

• CCDAz.txt
    4.7 KB · Views: 29
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.