• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

More articles for the Wireless World Archive

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a stack of Wireless World magazines from the late 20s and early 30s that used to belong to my grandfather. I'm not sure if they are in good enough shape to scan but they really do need preserved before time takes its toll on the paper. Maybe set up a camera mount and photograph each page?

I have a stack of Wireless World magazines from the late 20s and early 30s that used to belong to my grandfather. I'm not sure if they are in good enough shape to scan but they really do need preserved before time takes its toll on the paper. Maybe set up a camera mount and photograph each page?

There's a great app for the iphone called CamScanner, which takes a photo of a page and then processes it. The result is typically almost indistinguishable from a high quality scan.

Chris

There's a great app for the iphone called CamScanner, which takes a photo of a page and then processes it. The result is typically almost indistinguishable from a high quality scan.

Chris

Unfortunately, it doesn't, especially if you zoom image. Better to use good flatbed and software with auto-adjustment of black/white levels (e.g. VueScan). Additionally, you will need to set up descreening at 125 lpi.

It would be a very great thing if they could be scanned and made available. Like other people, I think a flatbed scanner is the way to go.

As a general rule anything about physics published in EW in that era is fruitcake stuff that nobody else woud publish. Ignore.

You are being too generous. I remember photocopying some of those and hanging them outside my office door. My students would read them, laugh hysterically, and then give me funny looks. My favorite was the fellow who tried showing that electrons didn't exist.

Attachments

• smbc3.gif
    smbc3.gif
    92.8 KB · Views: 123
This link
http://muller.lbl.gov/COBE-early_history/Aether-Drift-Scienti#1E3402.pdf
claims the CMBR experiments prove there's such thing as an absolute velocity. One thing most knee jerk Einstein worshipers haven't considered is that Hubble's theory came after SRT. When SRT was first published, they believed in some sort of steady state universe.

Look, even Discover magazine has commited blasphemy!
Einstein's 23 Biggest Mistakes | Einstein | DISCOVER Magazine

Note mistake # 16 Mistake in the introduction of the cosmological constant (the “biggest blunder”)

Last edited:
I am not an astrophysicist, neither am I a "knee jerk Einstein worshiper", but I can't see anywhere in that COBE article where absolute velocity is claimed.

So Einstein made mistakes. Einstein was human. Humans make mistakes. And your point is?

Perhaps you are unable to distinguish between the process of science, advancing knowledge by correcting mistakes, and the blind following of gurus followed by toppling them off their perch when a new guru comes along (as favoured by the arts and politics).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.