• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

My new humble thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
I think I will try it like this

probably gets less 'google hits' than my other thread :D:)

Attachments

• NEW.GIF
    NEW.GIF
    11.9 KB · Views: 428
Needs some caps after the cathodyne for voltage isolation. Main problem will be the low and varying impedances seen by the cathodyne (due to driving the output stage cathodes) especially with the outputs operating in class AB.
With some Mosfet followers to drive the output stage cathodes inserted in between it could work.

Last edited:
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
The Van Scoyoc was an overly complicated phase splitter

I guess uoy refer to the cathode follower design
I believe it was done because of the need for a low impedance drive

from what I understand a trafo or interstage was originally used to 'drive' the Van Scoyoc splitter
the more complicated cathode follower design was implemented instead of the 'simpler' trafo

thats why I thought 'hey, cathodyne has low impedance too', right ?

but in my suggestion its the output stage that have cross referenced cathodes, and not the phase splitter
so it might be a completely different thing
but I don't know

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
ok, different approach

transformer/autoformer used as phase splitter seem to become more popular

this one uses a relatively cheap interstage in a parafeed manner
and the secondary is used to cross reference output cathodes, in a kind of Van Scoyoc style

I suppose the IT is less critical this way
but is it possible ?

Attachments

• NEW.GIF
    NEW.GIF
    10.2 KB · Views: 253
I guess uoy refer to the cathode follower design
I believe it was done because of the need for a low impedance drive

from what I understand a trafo or interstage was originally used to 'drive' the Van Scoyoc splitter
the more complicated cathode follower design was implemented instead of the 'simpler' trafo...

You have to consider the times when circuits such as the Van Scoyoc (and another one, the Isodyne) were developed. That was before the availability of decent solid state devices. There were no constant current ICs, no BJTs at all, and if there was anything, it would have been the noisy, unreliable, unstable point contact transistor.

They didn't have anything that could have served as a CCS for an actively loaded LTP. They were trying to solve problems that have much simpler solutions today.

Also, any time you have cross coupled feedback, you have a potential astable multivibrator.

The circuit in post 8 is looking better. The coupling xfmr needs to have a low output Z to drive the cathodes. And as Miles mentioned about cross coupled feedbacks turning into a multivibrator, the turns ratio for the low Z out xfmr would need to be low enough to keep the loop gain around the cross-coupled loop less than 1. Ie, the cathode currents must not excite their own grids with enough voltage to keep it oscillating. With the loop gain kept just below unity though, it may bootstrap the input impedance to eliminate loading on the 1st tube stage. Might be an interesting design concept.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
I did notice the cross is missing the ground connection, by nature
and thought it might cause trouble, like you say

and, when reading about 'basics', I'm obviously 'forgetting' the ccs
which, like you say, makes a whole lot of difference getting good balance

thank you

google on LTP ccs, and a lot more to read

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
The circuit in post 8 is looking better.............................With the loop gain kept just below unity though, it may bootstrap the input impedance to eliminate loading on the 1st tube stage. Might be an interesting design concept.

oh, ok, great
well, I also thought it looked better :rolleyes:

I take it you would suggest something like 2:1 step down

"I take it you would suggest something like 2:1 step down"

Probably more. Lets say a 1 volt change on the output stage grid causes X mA of cathode current increase. (actually 2X for both output tubes together) Working that 2X current backward thru the xfmr from the cathodes to the load resistor for the input stage plate, this needs to produce less than 1 volt change there (and so on the output tube grids too). (or it will oscillate!)

Last edited:
"well, the good thing is that the 'step down' doesn't affect the gain, as such...right ?"

The forward gain is affected a bit by the step-down ratio since it determines how much driver voltage change goes to the cathodes. But the driver plate to output grid voltage stays unity. So driver output transfer is (unity+step-down fraction) to the output stage. Ie, No big deal.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.