Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st August 2011, 04:15 PM   #1
ttan98 is online now ttan98  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Which KT88 Brand to Buy?Sso many to choose

Hi,

I am looking to buy a pair of KT88 tube for my single ended amplifier I am building. A general search at Ebay reveals there are so many types and brands available, to name a few:

1. Shuguang basic/standard $60 a pair
2. Shuguang Treasures $130 a pair
3. Full music(different construction) $250 a pair
4. Gold Lion, Genalex, $95 a pair
5. Tesla, Blue type $95 a pair
6. Sovtex, $55 a pair
7. Original GEC gold lion too expensive
8. Original Tungsol, too expensive

Anyone has any info and experience in regard to the sound quality and sound reproduction of these tubes. I am after reliability i.e. able to operate at least 400V on the screen and anode. the old Chinese KT88 can handle at these voltage, they failed.

BTW is the Chinese EL156 any good? some say it has a lower grid to cathode for similar cathode current hence easier to drive, is the sound reproduction any good and how about reliability?

Thanks in advance.
Old 1st August 2011, 06:54 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

A friend put in a quad of genelex gold lion re-issues and is very happy with them.... i think it was about STG£160 for the quad.
Old 2nd August 2011, 01:52 AM   #3
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I just got a pair of JJ blue bottles. They came highly recommended. I'll let you know. (Formally Tesla, I think)
Old 2nd August 2011, 02:38 AM   #4
taj is offline taj
diyAudio Member

I trust and recommend Jim McShane's tube advice and buy my tubes from him. He backs his products and he tests the daylights out of them for you, and hand-matches everything. And all that without a premium price tag. He's an engineer with an ear.

On his advice I bought a matched quad of Genelec Gold Lions that had passed his QC criterion.

That was a year ago, so his advice may have changed. Jim McShane Home Page

..Todd
Old 2nd August 2011, 05:15 AM   #5
rhone is offline rhone  Australia
diyAudio Member

If the Gold Lions are to expensive for you then try the ElectroHarmonix KT88. I've used a quad of them on and off for a few years with no problems.
The reliability of the new premium Chinese tubes is an unknown quantity, I would say.
Old 2nd August 2011, 05:41 AM   #6
TJ is offline TJ
diyAudio Member

i'll go for Winged C (SED) KT88 or JJ kt88 .

Hide this!Advertise here!