• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Which KT88 Brand to Buy?Sso many to choose

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I am looking to buy a pair of KT88 tube for my single ended amplifier I am building. A general search at Ebay reveals there are so many types and brands available, to name a few:

1. Shuguang basic/standard $60 a pair
2. Shuguang Treasures $130 a pair
3. Full music(different construction) $250 a pair
4. Gold Lion, Genalex, $95 a pair
5. Tesla, Blue type $95 a pair
6. Sovtex, $55 a pair
7. Original GEC gold lion too expensive
8. Original Tungsol, too expensive

Anyone has any info and experience in regard to the sound quality and sound reproduction of these tubes. I am after reliability i.e. able to operate at least 400V on the screen and anode. the old Chinese KT88 can handle at these voltage, they failed.

BTW is the Chinese EL156 any good? some say it has a lower grid to cathode for similar cathode current hence easier to drive, is the sound reproduction any good and how about reliability?

Thanks in advance.

taj

diyAudio Member
Joined 2005
I trust and recommend Jim McShane's tube advice and buy my tubes from him. He backs his products and he tests the daylights out of them for you, and hand-matches everything. And all that without a premium price tag. He's an engineer with an ear.

On his advice I bought a matched quad of Genelec Gold Lions that had passed his QC criterion.

That was a year ago, so his advice may have changed. Jim McShane Home Page

..Todd

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.