18K audio note output transformer - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st August 2011, 03:40 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 18K audio note output transformer

I was in an Audio Note Kit supply showroom last month in Hong Kong. The guy told me that they are building 845/211 mono block power amp using 18K audio note output transformer and the price is ..... HK$180,000 (US$23,000) for a pair. He said these 18K priminary audio note transformer is not available as spare part or kit since these are those being used in the factory models. Yet, I cannot agree with the performance that I heard from his show room. There were no details and the sound was dull. The only self-made explanation is the speakers (Taiwan made horn type) are not yet burn-in.

Did anyone hear about these 18K priminary 845 output transformer?
Is this really a good choice to use 18K output transformer?
Are they really so expensive?
Any other comment?

Thanks
Old 1st August 2011, 07:57 AM   #2
TJ is offline TJ
diyAudio Member

search in this forum ,some guy using 10k output transformers and sound great 。
Old 1st August 2011, 09:58 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I couldn't find audio note 845 on title search although I can find some in text search. None of them seems appropriate for getting more information about this 18K primary output transformer.

The cost is US$23,000 for a pair of ready-made monoblock, not only the transformer.
Old 1st August 2011, 10:17 AM   #4
Previously: Kuei Yang Wang

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsun22 View Post
I was in an Audio Note Kit supply showroom last month in Hong Kong. The guy told me that they are building 845/211 mono block power amp using 18K audio note output transformer
The Audio Note Japan Outputs are designed for use with the 211 in the kind of circuit used by Audio Note Japan. It will not work with 845 and I doubt it will work too well with other Circuits.

Audio Note UK has some parallels with ANJ, but there are differences. I have less experience with their stuff.

Ever which way, both AN UK and ANJ/Kondo stuff is very expensive and highly tuned in the context of the specific circuit.

Just taking such transformer into a different circuit will not necessarily give good results. Of course, some people believe that anything expensive must be really good and do not take other factors into account.

Ciao T
Old 1st August 2011, 10:25 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Then, in this respect, would it be worthwhile to buy Audio Note 211/845 Single End C Core transformer when using a non-AN circuit? Of course, I am only referring to AN Copper/Copper 10K 845/211 SE output transformer.

Or should I try Tango?

Last edited by Sunsun22; 1st August 2011 at 10:28 PM.
Old 1st August 2011, 10:33 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
I am currently searching for output transformers for 845 SE, and I don't see how 18K transformer for them would sound good. 8K looks more reasonable.

However, if to wind them on amorphous core it may be possible to make such a transformer for full audio band, but $23/pair sounds fantastiche.
Old 1st August 2011, 10:40 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

$23000 is for one pair of ready made monoblock using 18K AN output transformers. The builder claims he follows the entire AN circuit and using all AN parts.
Old 1st August 2011, 10:51 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Ah, sorry... I was thinking about 23 dollars per pair of transformers. My bad.
Old 2nd August 2011, 04:21 AM   #9
Previously: Kuei Yang Wang

Hi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsun22 View Post
Then, in this respect, would it be worthwhile to buy Audio Note 211/845 Single End C Core transformer when using a non-AN circuit? Of course, I am only referring to AN Copper/Copper 10K 845/211 SE output transformer.
It depends on the circuit. Also, note the 18K are NOT for the 845, but STRICTLY for 211 and then in the specific "class A2 on peaks" operation AN (both sides) use. Try this with an 845 and it will sound awful.

Also, at least the ANJ versions had a drooping high end that need to be equalised in the Amplifiers Circuit, some of the Ongaku schematics that float around are accurate and show this, others do not!

As for "should I use Tango", they do make decent transformers, so why not. If you want to use an 845 I would think the 10K Tango transformer a better choice than the AN 18K one, but if I where to try to build an Ongaku with 211's I'd make a beeline for the AN TX.

Ciao T

PS, where is this AN Kit Showroom in HK? I'm quite often in HK, may be fun to drop in.
Old 2nd August 2011, 05:20 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I forgot the new address of Alps Audio in HK (agent of Audio Note) because my friend brought me there last time. Anyway, their address on the web was
Flat 2A 17/F., Chung Kiu Comm Bldg., 47-51 Shantung St., Mongkok, Kowloon, Hong Kong

(852) 3694 0499
alpaudio@biznetvigator.com

Phone number and email address should remain unchanged. Call them for the new address.

Hide this!Advertise here!