• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Swinging choke value in PSUD

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is there a datasheet for your choke to indicate what its max rated current is?

The fall off in inductance with current in a swinging choke is likely to be similar in character to that in a normal choke, but with the max rating point moved. Although the swinging choke may have a rapid initial drop in inductance, depending on how the magnetic circuit is configured.

Last edited:
hey-Hey!!!,
IIRC that one was rated at 40 Hy at 40 mA and 8 Hy at 400 mA. Draw a line between those tow points and I think it will be close. Now the drop in L per mA probably isn't quite a straight line, but I'll bet you wind up with at least 12 Hy at your proposed loading.

I remember seeing those chokes at Surplus Sales of NE for ~$200 each and I very much regret not acquiring two of them. Most likely won't see any more either, I know for sure I wouldn't turn any I had loose...:)
cheers,
Douglas

Thanks for all the replies.

The data sheet from UTC specifies DC current at 400ma. The DC resistance was specified as 90 ohms but actual measurement showed a value of 125 ohms.

I purchased this a few years ago on ebay for around 100USD and postage to NZ for this boat anchor was not horrendous. Its in near new condition.

I have used 20Hy as the value to simulate the intended supply in PSUD. Just wanted to check with the DIY community for any experience in this regard.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.