• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Reuse these sockets and tube choice question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
On the mini-console that I am building for my grand daughter I am repurposing a preamp chassis from a hammond L101 for the preamp section of this project. The chassis has three 9 pin sockets and one 7 pin. I will need to replace the 7 pin with a 9 pin but I am considering just using the existing 9 pins rather than replacing with new.

This is a gift so I don't want to cut corners but as I look at the old sockets they look like pretty good quality and are tight. I wonder if I would really gain anything by putting in new ones.

I would like your thoughts on it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Also my design uses 12AY7 for the CC gain stages and 12AU7 for the CF stages. I chose the 12AU7 simply because I have a bunch of used ones for the initial testing (will use new one for the final product) and since in this case they are not driving difficult loads. I am also considering redesigning for using either all 12AY7 or using 12AT7 for the CFs. I suppose ATs would give the best CF performance while AY gives the advantage of having no way to mix up the tubes.

Do you think it really matters much what I use for the CFs? Not concerned about price here at all.

Finally any suggestions on what to use to clean up the yellow gunk (flux) on those old sockets?

Thanks for your time.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.