• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Anyone used C3g to drive GM70?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Havent yet decided what tube to use to drive my GM70SE.I have loocket at the D3a
813 / GM70 amplifier with Bartolucci transformers
But I think the sensitivity is a little high 1vRMS for full audio signal.
My preamp/DAC gives about 3,5vp so I was thinking in those ranges.
The I thought of the C3g it has 40 in gain,but can it drive GM70 fully?
What would the input sensitivity be with C3g?
On GM70 I will use 950v/100mA -90v.
Write your thoughts.

Hey Ryssen,

Forgot to say sensitivity would be close to half ie. 2Vrms. So with 2,5V from your DAC it wouldn´t be much margin.

Also stick to 1:1 as this will probably give a sonically better result. You could then also go bifilar. Then check with Dave Slage for great irons!

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Working on my own GM70 design with triode connected D3A driver via Lundahl 1:1 IT. I have the impression that my design may be marginal in terms of both drive and bandwidth (on the low end).. My custom Edcor power transformers arrived a couple of weeks ago, and when this stupid, brutally hot summer weather goes away I will start on the PSU chassis (the amps themselves are finished) and report back on the results.

The recommendation for Slagle iron is a good one. (I know Dave personally, and am familiar with the quality of his products - good stuff. :D )

Worst case I will get some other ITs made with higher primary inductance, mine have ~30H and I think it is not going to be enough.. Running at just below 20mA...

I'm also thinking about experimenting with the D3A in pentode connection with RC coupling. The current set up is not capable of real A2 anyway so I would loose little IMHO..

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
What OPT do you use?

Slagles stuff is great, I have used quite a few I have custom-ordered(but they all are:)).

I have a pair of custom 7K:8 150mA, 40W transformers Jack Elliano at Electra-Print made for me last year. The previous OPTs Jack made for me for a headphone amp worked so much better than I expected that I went back for more.. :D

Hello
I just purchased some D3a tubes in case the 3 stage I planed to build I do not like..
I purchased because a year a go it was $7/PC on Ebey now some people ask even $35 to.
I read the D3a drive very well the GM70 in both mode with interstage transformer or coupling caps.
Let us know your result! Thank you. In case you have a good schematic I would be interested..
Greetings Gabor

Hello Ryssen

Anything would help!:) But not urgent at all, when you done yours. Are you planing to use inter stage Xformer?
Specially at the amplifier stage. PS schema I have several..
How I wrote I just purchased 6PC D3a tubes these week, today I purchased 3PC 12GN7A Sylvania tubes.
Just to have these tubes until still available and not to pricy.
What type of OTP you use??

Greetings gabor

Hello

Can someone post a picture from the PC board..
You know the best solution is the P to P soldering. But if the board help certainly I can buy a pair.
I have to see what goes to the board.
djn thanks for your website, I will check it out
Thank to all of you
Look like these GM70 tube getting more & more popular among the DIY-ers..

Greetings Gabor

Hello

I do not write to see the PC board to make a copy. I want to know what is going on , for what tube was design etc.
I think a sketch would be better in these case..
Who is Rod, where I found his site?
I understand it is extremely cheap , my question can I use it.
I already purchased some parts in wain, what I would like to avoid in the future. I live on disability support in one word on very little money.

Greetings gabor

Hey,
Why not go for the CCS/CVVS PCBs we are eagerly waiting for. You could then try both Low-, and Hi-Z(D3a 2k) and CVVS drive.
If I know how to use it,yes I can try it.
Do I adjust the CCS as a regular CCS?

230935d1310475762-pcb-cascoded-ixys-ccs-tube-07_12_sk.jpg

But how do I adjust P101/P102?
Is this suposted to be lika a SRPP?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.