diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Tubes / Valves (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/)
-   -   Capacitors found, have you used these? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/193042-capacitors-found-have-you-used-these.html)

mltube 22nd July 2011 04:01 AM

Capacitors found, have you used these?

1 Attachment(s)
I have found these FKP capacitors cheap, and have never used this type before.

Have any of you used these in your tube circuits, and if you have, are they any good?

I am asking, prior to purchasing the entire lot for cheap, but I don't want a bunch of useless junk in the shop if you know what I mean.

Thank You for your time,

Michael (mltube)

Wavebourn 22nd July 2011 04:36 AM

All filter capacitors I tried were exceptional. Subjectively I prefer those that have bunch of UL, CE, and other certificates.

mltube 22nd July 2011 05:32 AM

Hello, Wavebourn

Quote:

All filter capacitors I tried were exceptional. Subjectively I prefer those that have bunch of UL, CE, and other certificates.

Thank you for the quick reply, and great information.

I will be picking these up then (50 qty) for 5 cents each, so I guess I won't worry about documentation this time, and just use them. :) They will more than likely sound better than some of the caps I have been using that are much more $.

Thank you again,

Michael (mltube)

mjf 22nd July 2011 06:41 AM

hello.
these are high quality polypropylene film caps made by wima (germany). used in power applications (monitors,switched mode psu,.......). datasheets should be available.
blue case = old style,without rohs conformity.perhaps that is the reason why they are so cheap.
the new ones (with rohs) have a red case with a yellow bottom.

costis_n 22nd July 2011 06:43 AM

It is the classic capacitor you find in (CRT) TV boards, in the high voltage section. They have a yellow bottom, like the other WIMAs. They are found in every electronic parts shop here. I got some, but i found them difficult to use in point to -point wiring.

off topic: Wavebourn, what happened, you grew up instantly? :P

tricomp 22nd July 2011 07:24 AM

These are very good cap's. and for 5c why even give it a thought?
Made for PCB but you may extend the leads to use with point-to-point.

rgds,

/tri-comp

SY 22nd July 2011 11:10 AM

Assuming they're genuine, they are excellent caps. For audio applications, there's really nothing better.

puremilk 22nd July 2011 12:55 PM

cheap component mightbe sources from PRC wich currently found lots of fake copies,u name it they have it,beware!

oshifis 22nd July 2011 01:51 PM

The "better looking" red MKS-4 are more of the targets of counterfeiting...

ide2003 22nd July 2011 03:07 PM

agreed..don't think twice on this FKP1, no metal film inside :)..watch out also for green FKP2's...