• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

12au7 600 ohm output

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
HT 200v and its being driven by the other half of the ECC82/12AU7 with a 220k plate load biased for by a 3.3k resistor and 47uF cap, and because its all i have available and i know they can drive the load, and attenuation is fine, distortion is ok depending on how much, 600 ohm is a worst case scenario and its much more likey to be driving 1.2k-5k loads. (some local NFB may also be used)

Even better, how about a IRF820. It will work as a drop in replacement for a cathode follower, will drive anything, doesn't require a heater, will sound better, and can be had for ~$1.

12AU7/ECC82 might make 2000 umhos on a good day, downhill, with a tailwind. ECC88 is about 5 times better.

IRF820 is about 700 times better than the 12AU7 ... just sayin'.

Last edited:
hi there, i wanted to check a 12 au7 cathode follower output stage, what is a good cathode resistor for driving a 600 ohm load? does it matter or should it be quite low? would 100k do? 68k? 47k? 22k? 10k? 600 ohm? sorry if this seems stupid but id like to be sure.

This is one of the most common misconceptions. A 12AU7 as a cathode follower might get you a source impedance of 600R.

However, the cathode follower is a device that can present a Lo-Z output, but only to a Hi-Z load. With Rl= 600R, it really doesn't matter what the tail resistance is: 100K || 600R is still 600R, for all practical purposes. No small signal type like the 12AU7 likes running into a loadline as steep as that of a 600R loadline. The end result will be the same as connecting that 600R load to the plate: very limited output swing, lots of distortion.

A cathode follower can't make any VT into something it is not, and never can be: a low voltage, high current device. You'd be better off with a source follower to drive a load that small.

quite possible i got something confused there, thanks for pointing that out, i did think that about the cathode resistor but accepted a while ago tubes can do funny things, some good, some bad in strange conditions... but thnaks anyway, ive gone with a 22k cathode resistor, i looked at some of the loads id be driving and it seems it isnt a whole lot after all, but it seems to be working as intended so all is good.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.