anyone know of a source for 12 pin+ connectors? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st July 2011, 12:40 AM   #1
ryuji is offline ryuji  United States
diyAudio Member

Default anyone know of a source for 12 pin+ connectors?

Im working on a project that will require at least 12 avail pins at high(over 500v) isolation

i don't mind getting a connector with more pins and grouping them together to increase current handling

but heres a map of what i presently have in mind

All values are DC

1= 500v 300 mA
2= 300v 300 mA
3= 300v 25 mA
4= 12.6v 10 A peak less steady
5= 12.6v return
6= 6.3v 10 A peak less steady
7= 6.3v return
8= -67 to -113v negligible current
9= ground
10= ground
11= ground
12= ground

i spotted these but is there anything better/closer to states side? russia tends to take potentially months to get packages from

24 pin USSR connector Male + Female Complete Lot of 2 | eBay
Old 21st July 2011, 12:53 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I've used the Cinch Jones style of connectors with sucess. They come in-line or chassis mount, and some have metal pieces on the sides to lock them together. You'll have to keep searching for the correct configuration for your application.
Cinch Jones P412-CCT S412-DB Connector Set | eBay
Old 21st July 2011, 01:02 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

cinch's jones series seems to cite 250v AC max for there plugs so i think i'd be afraid of flashover

perhaps instead of one plug a couple plugs are in order. or just eat the shipping time from moscow
Old 21st July 2011, 01:27 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hello ryuji, off the top of my head, I can think of these connectors:

Lapp Epic connectors
Weidmuller Rockstar connectors
Harting Han eV series connectors

I'm sure there are many others, probably cheaper than the ones listed above, but this gives you an idea of what's out there. Try doing a search on Newark, digikey, Allied, Mouser, etc. websites and see what you find. I think you will be overwhelmed very quickly!

Peace,

Dave

Last edited by dave_gerecke; 21st July 2011 at 01:28 AM. Reason: Poor grammar
Old 21st July 2011, 01:34 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

The plastic CPC connectors are pretty cheap and easy to work with. Its probably not the "approved" method but you could always use a connector with pins you install yourself and leave empty spaces around the high voltage ones.

If you want the metal military style connectors look at DDK.

DMS SERIES | DDK | Connectors | Circular Connectors | Product Catalog Search Results | Galco Industrial Electronics
Old 21st July 2011, 01:35 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

250 volts is conservative 'cause I've used them higher. If you bought a set with more pins then needed, you could remove some next to the HV pins. Consider the plain black bakelite tube sockets that had 500 volts on them and lasted for decades.
Old 21st July 2011, 01:40 AM   #7
dgta is offline dgta  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuji View Post
i don't mind getting a connector with more pins and grouping them together to increase current handling
Not a good idea unless you can split the loads into separate circuits. Contacts in parallel don't share current equally.
Old 21st July 2011, 01:42 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

simple enough to split the loads in my case
Old 21st July 2011, 02:45 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

+1 on the Amp CPC series. The series 1 CPC connectors are rated for 600V (AC or DC) and 13 amps. Affordable, and easy to use. I'm using a 9 pin on my Tubelab SE running up to 400V B+ with all of the pins used. Been using it for months without issues. They have a variety of shell sizes, std and reverse sex, gold contacts, etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cpc.jpg (180.5 KB, 90 views)
Old 21st July 2011, 03:02 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

+2 on the CPC series. I've used these between amps and remote power supplies with great success. At first I thought there should be no problem running parallel wires for more current, but I can see that if one connection started to go high resistance the situation is unstable and soon you might have a single wire handling all the current. Still, if the current was within the limits of a single line, paralleling should lower resistance and work reasonably well. I wouldn't do it if the total current exceeded the limits for one line.

Hide this!Advertise here!