• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

gain and mid circuits

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Rigonda used self-split output stage,. Transformer can't be used in SE, without additional air gap added. Equalizing network in loudness regulator is used to boost lows on low volume. The theory behind it is compliance to Fletcher-Munsen curves, but actually it was the way to extend bass reproduction below roll-off of speakers utilizing power capabilities of the amp when less of power is needed. 4GD-28 speakers were 8" speakers with 60-70 Hz Fs.

Not completely sure :) :) :)
but this design is anoying. Maybe it would give me clean bright crunch with a bit of an overdrive with all these feedbacks.
Actually it can pull out 7-10 watts, I ve been looking at the rigonda SE description..
So, I've found the transformers specs. Coils and wire gauge.
Could I find these for the hammond trannies recommendables? (coils and gauge)
Like for example the stuff this pal posted:
Untitled Document
- Building an Output Transformer for a Tube Amp
But it is about 6V6 push-pull, not EL84
London Power's Hammond Transformers: Matching Them Up
So, trying to calculate the coil turns and gauge by Ohms and the transf unit power?
Maybe have to post this in the other section as well.

I started playing and changing with dwg app (no calcs yet)
- Loudness pot and chains - cut
- Negative feedback - cut
- Tone chains - cut
- "Gain" in between the preamp tube stages
- 3band EQ before the push-pull
- Push-pull kept "non-symetric" (don't know about this implementation)
- Kept negative feedback to the output valves
Changed:
- View image: r102 gain 3b EQ
Original:
- http://postimage.org/image/10pbycuh0/
Since I plan to use USSR tubes only, Maybe it is a good idea to insert another 6n2p valve and second gain (like ax84high-octane, tiny terror)
What do u think?

Last edited:
Not started yet.
Working on the combo cabinet :) got some cheap 12'' chinese wide-range speaker, 30watts.

You can add a gain control by decoupling R11 with a capacitor in series with a pot, say 100k.//changed to 5kmax. This will increase the gain as the value of the pot is decreased. :note:
How to calculate the resistor and decoupling cap?

Actually, first I would like to start easy. Not removing the original chains.
How to add midtone chain to the existing bass, treble? How to calc it?

Then try adding some gain knob at the stage 2 cathode.

What if I add a master volume just before the push-pull?
Will it stay more sensitive and bright at low volume than if it is at the very input?

Here all sugesstions:
- View image: r102 3band EQ gain old ask

If it gets more sensitive with some clean bright crunch, I will use it for a while, as it it, plus some boss stomp box overdrive.

ok sorry for being late, im on holiday in america for 5 weeks :) as for resistor and coupling cap, corner frequency can be found using 1/(2(pi)xRxF)=C if youve kept the circuit as it is on the original diagram, then i would add a mid control to the cathode of the second triode stage using a capacitor (220n maybe) and an inductor (baybe 500mH) (im not completely sure of values, i cant remember the inductor frequency equation) with a vasriable resistor between them and ground. this will give you a mid boost, an ideal frequency for mid is about 1.5-2k and these are the best frequencies for distortion, (ignore the scooped mids stuff, i cant believe how many amps had the typical bass 10 mid 0 treble 10 setting in the local guitar centre today...) i wouldnt bother with what you have circled in red unless you want a bias control with the buiggest effect on low frequencies and with a 5k pot, im not sure how effective it will be.

seems that the gain control does nothing..
btw, the original circuit was working pretty well, listening music through it, but now it gives very low output.
I am starting over, with a vox ac 15 heritage schematics.
The penthode chanel only. It sounds just great!!
Not sure about the power supply.
I measured it, according to the schematics it should be 270 volts on the OT mid tap, but it reads around 340... With the valves on..

probably wouldnt need more than a 47uF reservoir cap, or are the 50uFs in series? the amp is cathode biased right? just measure the voltage at the cathode, and use ohms law to find power tube current, then just measure the voltage drop accross the 1st resistor to the rest of the PSU and use ohms law to find current there, for a PP 15 watt amp 30mA on the EL84 and 1mA per preamp tube sounds about right.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.