• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Russian EL84 - Many varieties

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
There are many varieties of Russian EL84 equivalents particularly these:

1. 6P14P
2. 6P14P-K
3. 6P14P-EV
4. 6P14P-ER

Does anyone know their differences? I read somewhere here that the ER is better sounding than the EV series. My suspicion is that they are in increase order of ruggedness, the ER has the ability to take higher voltages and possibly exceed the normal EL84 spec., the ER series is of the highest order.

The Russian EL84 equivalents are quite cheap can be purchased for about $8 each included transport.

Thanks in advance.

ПЯТЫЙ ДОБАВОЧНЫЙ НЕОБЯЗАТЕЛЬНЫЙ буквенный элемент, а основное обозначение всегда вводится через дефис. Он характеризует какие-либо особые эксплуатационные свойства лампы

В - лампы повышенной надежности и механической прочности

Д - дампы особой долговечности с гарантированной наработкой более 10000 часов

Е - лампы повышенной долговечности с гарантированной наработкой более 5000 часов

И - лампы, предназначенные для работы в импульсном режиме; характеризуются повышенной эмиссионной способностью катода

К - лампы с высокой виброустойчивостью

Р - лампы особой надежности и механической прочности

ЕВ - лампы повышенной надежности, механической прочности и долговечности

ДР - лампы особой надежности, механической прочности и долговечности.

Примеры использования добавочных элементов обозначения и их расшифровки:

6П14П-К - пентод выходной с номинальным напряжением накала 6,3В s стеклянном миниатюрном “пальчиковом” оформлении высокой виброустойчивости;

6Н23П-ЕВ - двойной триод повышенной надежности, механической прочности и долговечности с номинальным напряжением накала 6,3В

Copied from: Russian HamRadio - Ìèíèñïðàâî÷íèê - Ñèñòåìû îáîçíà÷åíèÿ ðàäèîëàìï.

So this says:

-В(=V): Improved mechanical strength, better reliability
-Р(=R): Extreme mechanical strength, better reliability
-Д(=D): Guaranteed lifetime of 10.000 h
-Е(=E): Guaranteed lifetime of 5.000 h
-И(=I): Improved Cathode for intermitted/pulsed operation
-К(=K): Resistent against vibration or mechanical shock

combinations are possible like -ЕВ etc..

And, yes limited operation values are a bit different. Look here: 6P14P, 6P14P-V, 6P14P-EV

But Since you don't use them as pulse pentodes in your tank plowing through the zombie apocalypse you're fine with the standard 6П14П.

It often seems when it comes to russian tubes that the higher strength/reliability variants are a must have. But believe me, not everything "non military" the soviets built was crap ;) A 440-6-pack charger is nice but the slant-6 could do 65Mph as well :)

The 6P14P-EV is the Russian equivalent to a 7189 tube.
Similar to the Sovtek EL84-M tube also.
It's rated for 400v on the plate, while the standard 6P14P (6bq5/EL84) is only rated for 300v on the plate.
You see many end up in guitar amps, as they tend to routinely run higher than spec. voltages.
Doesn't sound too bad in stereo amps either, especially if your B+ runs a bit on the high side?

Steve

There are many varieties of Russian EL84 equivalents particularly these:

1. 6P14P
2. 6P14P-K
3. 6P14P-EV
4. 6P14P-ER

Does anyone know their differences? I read somewhere here that the ER is better sounding than the EV series. My suspicion is that they are in increase order of ruggedness, the ER has the ability to take higher voltages and possibly exceed the normal EL84 spec., the ER series is of the highest order.

The Russian EL84 equivalents are quite cheap can be purchased for about $8 each included transport.

Thanks in advance.

I have tried the 6P14P and EV(EB) in one of my amplifiers and prefered the 6P14P .It is the cheaper of all versions and very reliable.Better to my ears than any of the new production EL84's and many old types too.Pins need some good cleaning but that's the only thing you'll need to do.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.