Best replacement solid state rectifiers for a 400V 125 mA supply in a tube amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th July 2011, 01:25 PM   #1
needsp is offline needsp  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Best replacement solid state rectifiers for a 400V 125 mA supply in a tube amp

Hi

I’m upgrading a pair of 300BSE amps for a friend. I’d like to upgrade the four solid state rectifier diodes, arranged in a bridge, in each power supply. At the moment it has un-bypassed small glass pacified types fitted- will have to remove one to read label, but they may be a suitable avalanche type, as the amp was commercially serviced a few years ago. Not 1N4007 at least! The transformer tap is 400 – 0 V ac, and the supply, after smoothing, outputs about 480 V @ ~ 125 mA. There's only room for RC filtering of the raw supply, so no subsequent chokes I'm afraid.

My own gear uses exclusively indirectly heated valve rectified, choke input supplies, so I’ve not kept up to date with the latest developments. The only solid state rectifiers I use on my valve gear are cap bypassed BYV32E soft recovery types in the filament supplies of the 300Bs (though I’ve used 1N5822 Schottkys in the present amp).

Where is the smart money these days? Si-C schottkys or fast recovery type? Cap bypass or not? Or what?

Thanks

Paul

Last edited by needsp; 15th July 2011 at 01:27 PM.
Old 15th July 2011, 01:32 PM   #2
TheGimp is offline TheGimp  United States
diyAudio Member

Why change the diodes?

Is there low level buzz caused by poor reverse recovery? If so just add a fast recovery between the bridge and the first cap. No need to replace them.

Hide this!Advertise here!