Tetra lives!!!!! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th July 2011, 07:25 AM   #1
MrBurd is offline MrBurd  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Tetra lives!!!!!

So after having John of Tube-cad fame exhibit his true colors as a gentleman with class and integrity I recieved my Tetra phono pre. I just have it temporarily mounted, as I couldn't wait to hear it, but it's nothing short of amazing. I'm no poet, so flowers and unicorns will not adorn my description, but some lp's made me laugh in disbelief, and some made me cry... Both were joyous.

I have to say that if you're in the market for a phono pre Johns circuits are of THE highest quality... Not to mention you're supporting a helluva guy and DIYer

I'll post pics when I'm not on my pocket computer(iPhone).

Cheers
Old 13th July 2011, 03:44 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

This phono pre has got my attention. I am looking to improve on my Transcendent Phono -- I wonder if this will do the job.

I was glancing at John's site, and got stuck at the power supply hurdle. I know I can build a kit from good instructions... is there information about how where, how to power the Tetra? What parts are needed?

Thanks in advance.
Old 13th July 2011, 05:49 PM   #3
zkri is offline zkri  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wha' DIYa know? View Post
I was glancing at John's site, and got stuck at the power supply hurdle. I know I can build a kit from good instructions... is there information about how where, how to power the Tetra? What parts are needed?
The Tetra has its own PS on board. You need a transformer with HV and heater voltages. There is User guide on John's site:
http://tubecad.com/Product_PDFs/Tetra_Phono.pdf
Old 13th July 2011, 08:55 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks Z'!
Old 14th July 2011, 09:03 PM   #5
MrBurd is offline MrBurd  United States
diyAudio Member

Sorry for the delay... I used an Edcor xfmr #XPWR054. They make them to order, so it took around five weeks, but seems to be a solid piece of gear.

I still don't have access to my computer, so pics will be a little longer, but I'm finding that my lp's are demanding my time now. :-)

While I was working on the case for the Tetra I hooked up my turntable to the on-board phono pre in my Yamaha and amazed at how bad it sounded. I couldn't wait to switch back!!
Old 2nd October 2012, 12:09 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Do you find your Tetra to be quiet? Mine tends to hum a little more than I like. Would appreciate any feedback.
Old 2nd October 2012, 12:32 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Feedback? Noooo! You don't want FEEDback!

;-)

Hide this!Advertise here!