• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

1/2 of the tube for each channel?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I came across an interesting build, a simple tube buffered LM1876 amplifier. The circuit uses half of an 6922 for each channel, what is the purpose of this? To eliminate cross talk? Is it really necessary? I thought the tube already have septation plate in the middle? I know this topic have been discussed numerous time, but I cant seem find the correct answer. Can anybody tell me?

see the following schematic:

The original article:
Ipod LM1876 amp

Attachments

• ss.JPG
    ss.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 341
That sort of setup makes some sense when types like the 12A_7 group are employed. Then, channel 1 uses system 1 and channel 2 uses system 2. When the sections in use wear out, you exchange the bottles between channels. The center tap in the heater allows cross talk concerns to be dealt with, without loosing 1/2 the value in each envelope. Of course, SY rightly stated that crosstalk concerns are chasing a will o' the wisp.

I came across an interesting build, a simple tube buffered LM1876 amplifier. The circuit uses half of an 6922 for each channel, what is the purpose of this? To eliminate cross talk? Is it really necessary?..

First off it is a tube buffered chip amp. The builder liely does not know that a unity gain buffer add almost nothing to the sound. The "tube sound" only comes with gain.

The only reason I can think of for using two tubes is the "tube rollers" who want to A/B test using a mono signal/ Likely not what the buillding had in mind.

I think He just wanted the tubes for decoration as they are not doing much else. Placebo effect mostly

First off it is a tube buffered chip amp. The builder liely does not know that a unity gain buffer add almost nothing to the sound. The "tube sound" only comes with gain.

The only reason I can think of for using two tubes is the "tube rollers" who want to A/B test using a mono signal/ Likely not what the buillding had in mind.

I think He just wanted the tubes for decoration as they are not doing much else. Placebo effect mostly

right on...
I'm learning from all you guys lol

As mentioned, a cathode follower in front of a non-inverting opamp is kind of pointless. The valve buffered gainclone started out as a CF driving an inverting opamp, which at least has a point, even though I'll bet a mediocre CF driving an LM chip is higher distortion than the bare LM chip.

If you really want something special you should try adapting Bob Cordell's work on gainclones to a tube front end (Ch 27 of his latest book).

Well, you really only have 22V across the tube. And a 5k load resistor. So there will be plenty of distortion. The buffering effect is minimal- iPods have zero problem driving a 10k load, and increasing 10k to 47k is not exactly profound.

I notice that the heater circuit isn't shown. There could be even more, ummm, interesting things there.

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
So I'm not sure what the point is of the added circuitry.

He says it sounds better with the buffer, but I also have my doubts. Guess the only way to find out is building it. Not sure....maybe I will find a better use for the transformers and tubes. A guitar preamp. Another thing I don't need.

projects by fanatics, for fanatics.

Yeah, solder fume junkie here.

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
A difference of only 0.3% can be an amazing thing. :)

The GC with a buffer definitely sounded better than the GC without it because the soundstage was more clearly defined, vocals were more natural, wind instruments also more defined, piano sounded less aggressive, more balanced and more integrated with the whole sound. Highest tones, which sounded aggressive and irritating on lower-quality speakers, became more pleasant and silky-sounding in the buffered version

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I remember seeing and hearing a Gary Dodd tube buffer in front of an Icepower amp. It worked well. The Ice is clean, but distortion is mainly H3. If Gary managed to add some H2 and H4 it might actually make the Ice sound cleaner. Harmonics can mask each other.

The Icepower amps have a fairly low input impedance, 8K, IIRC.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.