Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st July 2011, 01:24 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question anyone knows of 6 channel tube amplier ?

anyone knows of 6 channel tube amplifier (for tri amplifying) , that delivers 150/200w at 4 ohm ?
Old 1st July 2011, 04:10 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

At that power level, you're probably talking monoblocks. Buy six...
Old 1st July 2011, 04:27 PM   #3
TheGimp is offline TheGimp  United States
diyAudio Member

Is this a surround system for an amphatheater?

What is your application?

That is a lot of power for tube amps.
Old 2nd July 2011, 01:42 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

i was thinking of an hybrid , for home use
Old 2nd July 2011, 01:47 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I could build you 4 150/200w mono's and 2 60/80w mono's. Tying them all together is up to you.

WO
Old 2nd July 2011, 09:11 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Do you own a forklift? Seriously such a beast would be heavy, expensive and require a pretty good cooling setup. For the price you would pay for that you could build more modest amplifiers and have enough money left to buy or build some speakers that don't require an arc welder for an amplifier to beat them into submission.

The trick is getting a good quality 6 channel preamp. Once you do that a trio of moderate power push pull stereo power amps (6L6 class or KT88 if you want more power) mated with a nice solid state powered subwoofer or two and you should be in great shape.

Keep in mind that those "200wpc" home theater receivers out there are really more like 35-50wpc in real life. As a data point I am testing a KT88 Single Ended amp that I am building for my grand daughter with some Mark Audio CHR-70s (not all that efficient at about 84dB/w/m). The preamp that I am using to test is not even capable of pushing the amp to full output as it has insufficient gain and it gets plenty loud in our living room dining area. If I were getting the full 8 or 10 watts it is capable of I might have to leave the room for sake of my hearing. 30 or 40 watts should be plenty with decent speakers especially if you are running under 80Hz signals to the sub as is standard practice.

Get some vintage Altec or Klipsch speakers and the little RH84 SE amps would be plenty.
Old 2nd July 2011, 09:50 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bavis View Post
At that power level, you're probably talking monoblocks. Buy six...
Or three stereo amps
Old 2nd July 2011, 09:55 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

6 channels of tubes? whoaaaaaaaaaaa, that's alot ). I have tri-amping with tubes in my head also...but with 15W each channel .
Old 2nd July 2011, 10:06 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lduarte1973 View Post
anyone knows of 6 channel tube amplifier (for tri amplifying) , that delivers 150/200w at 4 ohm ?
This is alot for power even for a SS multi-channel amp.
The max you will find on the market is this Ming-Da 5 channels tube amp, looks a good heat for a nice winter, output tubes are KT90.
MC-5S home theatre five channels power amplifier - Detailed info for MC-5S home theatre five channels power amplifier,power amplifier,MC-5S home theatre five channels power amplifier,MC-5S on Alibaba.com

Factory site : http://www.mei-xing.com/english
Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by FullRangeMan; 2nd July 2011 at 10:08 PM.
Old 2nd July 2011, 10:35 PM   #10
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

6 x 150W of tube power. Yikes!! Isn't it hot enough in Lisboa already?

Hide this!Advertise here!