anyone knows of 6 channel tube amplier ? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd July 2011, 10:57 PM   #11
ryuji is offline ryuji  United States
diyAudio Member

I built myself a 5.1 amp and preamp(5 tube channels, 1 tube pre self powered sub) I used 5 807's in single ended class A and 5814A's and 12at7's for gain stages. Turned out nice. Space wise its about the size of a 4u server rack.

would be helpful to everyone to know what your doing with them and room size(you listening to them near field?)
Old 5th July 2011, 02:56 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

i was thinking of 4 of these and something less powerfull for the tweeters

Vincent - SP-T100 Hybrid Class-A Mono Amplifier - Vincent-tac

or 2 of these plus something less powerfull for the tweeters

Vincent - SV-226MKII Hybrid Stereo integrated Amplifier - Vincent-tac

I have a Arcam Delta 290 , not sure what to do with it , maybe ill use it for another room or as a headphone amp.

I also have a Cambridge audio 740A, i like the bass and highs of this amp (specialy with my tube preamp), maybe i can use it as the bass or tweeter amp ?

my room is about 5 x 4 meters , 16 x 13 feet +- , the listening position is in the center of the room

i have a jbl e250p subwoofer with 400w amp , maybe ill get a 2nd sub soon (a better one )

Last edited by lduarte1973; 5th July 2011 at 03:03 AM.
Old 5th July 2011, 03:01 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
6 x 150W of tube power. Yikes!! Isn't it hot enough in Lisboa already?
last year it was so hot , i had to get a big fan and point it at the amps , without it you could be in the room with the stereo on
Old 5th July 2011, 04:40 AM   #14
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Maybe we need amps that generate cold.
Old 5th July 2011, 11:49 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Hmmm... since heat is decreased when power dissipation is reduced, and P=I^2*R, then all we need to do is develop a negative resistance amplifier.
Old 6th July 2011, 04:44 PM   #16
ChrisA is offline ChrisA  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lduarte1973 View Post
anyone knows of 6 channel tube amplifier (for tri amplifying) , that delivers 150/200w at 4 ohm ?
OK so the intended use is "tri amplifying". Does your tweeter really need 150W? I can understand a bass driver sucking up 1,000W but do all three channels of a tri-amp system need the same power? I doubt it.

Hammond built tube based tri-amp'd systems for their church organs. All the big systems were three channels, one was Bass, one Treble and the last was "reverb" they used a spring reverb pan and did not mix the wet signal back, they simply ran the wet signal to it's own power amp and driver. That was a smart cure for voiding any intermod distortion.

Hammond used about the same amps in all channels except the output transformer for bass was huge and the others were small. There were other minor differences too, like the size of the coupling caps.

Then if they needed more power, and yes some organs could shake the walls of a huge masonry building. What they did was use multiple tri-amps each set of three amps would have it's own set of drivers and it's own cabinet.

I think a bi-amp system built with tubes is a great idea but the bass and treble amps need to be different from each other. Design each for the intended frequency and you can have much better and lower cost system .

Hide this!Advertise here!