• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

anyone knows of 6 channel tube amplier ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Do you own a forklift? :D Seriously such a beast would be heavy, expensive and require a pretty good cooling setup. For the price you would pay for that you could build more modest amplifiers and have enough money left to buy or build some speakers that don't require an arc welder for an amplifier to beat them into submission. ;)

The trick is getting a good quality 6 channel preamp. Once you do that a trio of moderate power push pull stereo power amps (6L6 class or KT88 if you want more power) mated with a nice solid state powered subwoofer or two and you should be in great shape.

Keep in mind that those "200wpc" home theater receivers out there are really more like 35-50wpc in real life. As a data point I am testing a KT88 Single Ended amp that I am building for my grand daughter with some Mark Audio CHR-70s (not all that efficient at about 84dB/w/m). The preamp that I am using to test is not even capable of pushing the amp to full output as it has insufficient gain and it gets plenty loud in our living room dining area. If I were getting the full 8 or 10 watts it is capable of I might have to leave the room for sake of my hearing. :) 30 or 40 watts should be plenty with decent speakers especially if you are running under 80Hz signals to the sub as is standard practice.

Get some vintage Altec or Klipsch speakers and the little RH84 SE amps would be plenty.

anyone knows of 6 channel tube amplifier (for tri amplifying) , that delivers 150/200w at 4 ohm ?
This is alot for power even for a SS multi-channel amp.
The max you will find on the market is this Ming-Da 5 channels tube amp, looks a good heat for a nice winter, output tubes are KT90.
MC-5S home theatre five channels power amplifier - Detailed info for MC-5S home theatre five channels power amplifier,power amplifier,MC-5S home theatre five channels power amplifier,MC-5S on Alibaba.com

Factory site : http://www.mei-xing.com/english
279126129_845.jpg

Last edited:
I built myself a 5.1 amp and preamp(5 tube channels, 1 tube pre self powered sub) I used 5 807's in single ended class A and 5814A's and 12at7's for gain stages. Turned out nice. Space wise its about the size of a 4u server rack.

would be helpful to everyone to know what your doing with them and room size(you listening to them near field?)

i was thinking of 4 of these and something less powerfull for the tweeters

Vincent - SP-T100 Hybrid Class-A Mono Amplifier - Vincent-tac

or 2 of these plus something less powerfull for the tweeters

Vincent - SV-226MKII Hybrid Stereo integrated Amplifier - Vincent-tac

I have a Arcam Delta 290 , not sure what to do with it , maybe ill use it for another room or as a headphone amp.

I also have a Cambridge audio 740A, i like the bass and highs of this amp (specialy with my tube preamp), maybe i can use it as the bass or tweeter amp ?

my room is about 5 x 4 meters , 16 x 13 feet +- , the listening position is in the center of the room

i have a jbl e250p subwoofer with 400w amp , maybe ill get a 2nd sub soon (a better one )

Last edited:
anyone knows of 6 channel tube amplifier (for tri amplifying) , that delivers 150/200w at 4 ohm ?

OK so the intended use is "tri amplifying". Does your tweeter really need 150W? I can understand a bass driver sucking up 1,000W but do all three channels of a tri-amp system need the same power? I doubt it.

Hammond built tube based tri-amp'd systems for their church organs. All the big systems were three channels, one was Bass, one Treble and the last was "reverb" they used a spring reverb pan and did not mix the wet signal back, they simply ran the wet signal to it's own power amp and driver. That was a smart cure for voiding any intermod distortion.

Hammond used about the same amps in all channels except the output transformer for bass was huge and the others were small. There were other minor differences too, like the size of the coupling caps.

Then if they needed more power, and yes some organs could shake the walls of a huge masonry building. What they did was use multiple tri-amps each set of three amps would have it's own set of drivers and it's own cabinet.

I think a bi-amp system built with tubes is a great idea but the bass and treble amps need to be different from each other. Design each for the intended frequency and you can have much better and lower cost system .

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.