• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Good 12ax7

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It takes a poor circuit (guitar amp?) for a simple change of valve to produce a significant change in frequency response. Valve reviews based on guitar amps tell us very little about how the valve will behave in a well-designed hi-fi amp. I suspect that in some cases a change in distortion is being misinterpreted (by ear) as a change in frequency response.

If you are refering to my post about the pencil test,I didn't mean guitar amp,but a phono stage (mostly) and then surely a hifi amp.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Can you tell me anything as to why some chose the ECC88's? I found a blurb saying they were quieter than 12ax7's.

Much higher transconductance, with resulting lower rp results in a significantly quieter amplifying device. The lower rp allows the use of smaller plate load resistors and lower impedance EQ networks which also help noise performance.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.