Duelund Alexander Copper Foil Capacitors - Page 7 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th January 2013, 07:24 AM   #61
diyAudio Member

hello folks
the 12F Jupiter Flat Stacked Cryo Beeswax are in the local postoffice and will be cooked for a couple of days in my Audio Dharma Cable Cooker before installation
still Im amazed at the sound of even the relatively cheap blue Jantzen std
best
Leif
Old 7th February 2013, 01:35 AM   #62
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphythecat8 View Post
so your saying that the mundorf tin-foil ZN are better then the silver-in-oil?
bump
Old 7th February 2013, 07:32 AM   #63
mach1 is offline mach1  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphythecat8
so your saying that the mundorf tin-foil ZN are better then the silver-in-oil
I think he already has
Old 7th February 2013, 05:20 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach1 View Post
I think he already has
I know, but this is quite a saying! Im happy, I only have the mundorf ZN in my system all way thru, and to know that they are actually better then silver in oil, damn.
anyone else can tell their experience between SIO and ZN?
Old 7th February 2013, 09:32 PM   #65
data is offline data  Australia

I have used both, but in different components so not a direct comparison.

But I prefer the ZN myself, the S&O sounds unnatural in comparison, but that's just my take.
Old 7th February 2013, 10:04 PM   #66
Jozua is offline Jozua  South Africa
diyAudio Member

Gents

I stand in amazement when people say there are no major differences in caps. I often wonder what is the audio quality of these so-called experts, hi-fi systems ?

I have some Mundorf Silver in Oil and the Mundorf Goil in Oil. The Gold In Oil is my facourite. And yes I agree the Mundorf SIO can be bright...

BUT,

Somehow the balance was restored in my system when I replaced the PSU caps in one of my amps with Mundorf High Current Electrolytics. Suddenly the Mundorf SIO sounded excellent. Regretably I cannot afford the even more expensive caps!

Incendently I found that a Hovland bypassed with Mundorf GIO can really sound good in my system.

I suspect the skill lies in finding what brand (or cap colourations) works best in your system. Buying very expensive caps provides no certainty if it going to work in your system. Sadly you have to buy then all to find the magical combination in your system.

Regards

Jozua

Last edited by Jozua; 7th February 2013 at 10:08 PM.
Old 7th February 2013, 10:22 PM   #67
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozua View Post
Gents

I stand in amazement when people say there are no major differences in caps. I often wonder what is the audio quality of these so-called experts, hi-fi systems ?
It depends. Different capacitors will make far less difference if you use gNFB, since that's one of the advantages of NFB: making the performance less dependent on active and passive devices inside the feedback loop. Outside a feedback loop, it makes quite a difference, as I discovered when exchanging a 1.0uF electrolytic in the signal path for an AuriCap in a SS design I did. That AuriCap was outside the NFB loop.

As far as special capacitors go, AuriCaps are as far as I'll go. Not spending $30+ for small signal capacitors, no way, no how. Click the image to open in full size.
Old 7th February 2013, 10:51 PM   #68
data is offline data  Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozua View Post
Gents

I have some Mundorf Silver in Oil and the Mundorf Goil in Oil. The Gold In Oil is my facourite. And yes I agree the Mundorf SIO can be bright...

BUT,

Somehow the balance was restored in my system when I replaced the PSU caps in one of my amps with Mundorf High Current Electrolytics. Suddenly the Mundorf SIO sounded excellent. Regretably I cannot afford the even more expensive caps!

Incendently I found that a Hovland bypassed with Mundorf GIO can really sound good in my system.

I suspect the skill lies in finding what brand (or cap colourations) works best in your system. Buying very expensive caps provides no certainty if it going to work in your system. Sadly you have to buy then all to find the magical combination in your system.

Regards

Jozua
That's it!

I couldn't agree more.
It's a synergy thing with parts working together, sound signatures that complement one another.
Old 8th February 2013, 05:05 PM   #69
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphythecat8 View Post
so your saying that the mundorf tin-foil ZN are better then the silver-in-oil?
Sorry, I don't come on here very often !
I would say that overall I preferred previous Audyn KP-SN to Mundorf silver/oil a few years back . It was to some extent give & take as the high treble on the Silver/oil was a bit more refined and resolved - however I could not live with the relative lack of midrange and bass tone in the silver/oils . I only briefly heard the silver/gold/oil at that time, used on some speakers . The guy who had them was an old friend of mine who has similar tastes in terms of realism and tone, and he was bit disappointed that the silver/gold/oils hadn't 'cured' the mid-tone problem of the silver/oils despite a lot of extra cost.
The problem with the old KP-SN was a slight brightness or lack of refinement in the treble. I have a few of the newer Mundorf ZN's now at home - they are supposed to address this problem with removal of the lead ( as in Pb ) from the tin foil . I'm very soon going to try putting a pair of 0.68uF ZN's in my phono amp in place of KP-SN , I will try to report back when I've played them for a couple of weeks .

I do think the KP-SN's and ( hopefully ) the Mundorf ZN's are very under-rated .

I have also recently tried Audyn copper foil/polypropelene ( the blue ones ) and they were very nice, but not overall any better than KP-SN in a phono amp ( output - line-level ) . These are becoming very hard to find and the prices are going up .
Old 8th February 2013, 05:19 PM   #70
diyAudio Member

Eliminate all small signal caps from the signal chain - works wonders.

Shoog

Hide this!Advertise here!