• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Why two GZ34 in this schematic?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Here is a schematic from an amplifier that I own. It is a Knight KA95 integrated EL34 PP. I am trying to educate myself about power supplies. Why were two rectifier tubes used like this? Correct me if I'm wrong (which is entirely possible) -- the diodes from each tube are simply paralleled and it is a conventional full wave rectifier, right? It appears that other EL34 based PP amps usually get away with a single tube for a full wave. Did the added load of the preamp circuitry necessitate this arrangement?

Thanks,
Michael

PS -- the PS is in part 2 of the schematic.

Attachments

• KA95schem2.gif
    KA95schem2.gif
    162.7 KB · Views: 310
  • KA95schem1.gif
    KA95schem1.gif
    163.6 KB · Views: 248
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Probably down to the amplifier power output rating and the additional circuitry. Stereo amps like the ST-70 just squeaked by with a single 5AR4. Pairs were sometimes used in higher power amplifiers where more than 250mA was needed, and relatively low forward drop (for a tube) along with reasonably good regulation was also wanted.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.