• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

ECC33

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Absolutely nothing. All I can plead is that my 60 year old eye/brain combination is not as good as it used to be!

That said, there's not much common ground between the ECC33 and the 6SN7. The former was designed for use in computers and the latter for audio use. Check out the info at the Valve Museum:

ECC33 @ The National Valve Museum

6SN7GT @ The National Valve Museum

Cheers

Ian

My equally aged eye / brain combination often does similar - or worse. I take your point about the original intended use for these valves but as we all know many valves designed for one purpose turn out to be excellent for some other job. RF pentode EF36 becomes much loved low noise audio pentode EF37A for instance. I haven`t looked at curves for the ECC33, just checked the data in my circa 1955 Mullard maintenance manual.

Barry

The 7n7 is electrically almost exactly the same as the 6sn7. I use tube socket adapters to sub 7n7s for 6sn7s. There is, however, not much variety with 7n7s. Despite different branding (RCA, Tung Sol, Raytheon etc..) almost all 7n7s are Sylvania made. The tall bottle 7n7 is essetially the highly prized tall bottle Sylvania VT-231. You can also use another very good tube .... the loctal 7af7 to sub for the 6sn7 with the same adapter.

Next, there is the 14n7 and 14af7 which have 12.6 v heaters and are the equivalent of the 12sn7; again I use the same adapter as the amp determines the voltage. Finally, there is the 7f7 and 14f7 which are equivalent to the 6/12sl7. All these tubes are very good and cheap once you build or buy yourself an adapter.

I almost forgot, another way I replace expensive 6sn7s is to use a 6cg7 to 6sn7 adapter. The 6cg7 is often referred to as a nine pin 6sn7. I also use the 6cg7 to 6sn7 adapter to use a wonderful sounding and cheap ($5) 6cg7 substitute called the 6gu7. You can buy these adapters on ebay and the money you save vs buying a nos 6sn7 more than pays for a single adapter and several tubes.

I am not sold on all of the adapters. I like to use adapters that allow you to switch between electrically similar tubes. For instance, I dont know about a 6sn7 to 12au7 adapter .... those tubes seem to different to me.

The above mentioned Mullard book suggests the 7N7 can be directly replaced by the 6SN7 (just change the base).

Barry

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.