• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

what's my fisher 400 off gassing?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i'm sorry if i'm making one too many threads about these issues (perhaps i'm the one with the 'issue') but i am chemically sensitive and this website is the only place i can think of where to get info.

right, my newly acquired fisher 400 is emitting a rather pleasant odor. it's coming from the little phenolic boards to the side where some caps n resistors meet. i recognize this as 'that old amp smell' but would like to know in detail just what the board could be off-gassing. the odor is flowery with a tiny hint of gasoline-like oil smell.

Disabled Account
Joined 2009
phenols (and phenolic resin derived from chemical transformation of phenols) are common biological compounds. Some neurotransmitters and some compounds evolved in the taste and odour of food. If I am not mistaken phenolic resins were used in PCBs before fiberglass was used.

I suppose localised heat is causing decomposition of the phenolic resin in close proximity of the heatsource. This may be responsible for the smell you perceive.

In some old automotive applications phenolic resins were used for brake pads. The bondinng material would give off some similar odour when thermically stressed.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.