EL84 DPP and Full Range problem - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th August 2003, 09:01 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default EL84 DPP and Full Range problem

Hello,

I have a problem with a EL84 28W DPP amplifier and a Fostex FE206E loudspeaker. The FE206E is a full range driver with no filter mounted on open baffle (just a capacitor for protection).
After 1 or 2 minutes of working, the FE206 begins vibrating of front behind. There is a sort of buzz and the FE206 move forwards and towards the back.
The volume is minimum. If I connect the FE206 on 8 ohms taps, the problem appears almost immediately, if i connect the FE206 on 4 ohms taps where there is feed back (contre réaction in french) the problem appears after 1 or 2 minutes.
FE206E are 8 ohms speakers.

Do you have an idea of what is the problem ? personally I am not certain if it's a problem of impedance or capacitor or resistor or valve. I don't think it's valve problem.

Thank you all.

Pascal.
Old 17th August 2003, 09:13 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default schematic

Hello,

the schematic of the amplifier with psu is at:

http://ptsoundlab.free.fr/sectubes/s...comp28el84.jpg

Pascal.
Old 17th August 2003, 09:53 AM   #3
SHiFTY is offline SHiFTY  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Could be "motorboating"... are your coupling capacitors much bigger than 0.1uF? Sometimes, if they are too big, the power supply will oscillate through the amp at low frequencies.
Old 17th August 2003, 10:03 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default coupling cap

Hello,

If you talk about PSU capacitors, I have try without coupling capacitor and with 0,1µF 400V capacitors (parallel). The problem is the same. The channel is like the schematic.

Cordialement.

Pascal.
Old 17th August 2003, 11:18 AM   #5
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

The first stage of the ECC83 doesn't seem to have a grid-leak resistor to ground. Add a 1M resistor, and see if it makes any difference, even if it doesn't, you need this resistor.
Old 18th August 2003, 08:22 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I once had the same problem with a rebuilt Leak Stereo 20. The culprit turned out to be oversized cathode decoupling capacitors. Try reducing the 470uF to 100uF.
Old 18th August 2003, 06:23 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Thank You

Thank you boys, i will try.

Pascal.

Hide this!Advertise here!