• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tube Amplifier to power Gale GS401 speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello to all....

I am new on the forum and still "in nappy's" so-to-speak... am certainly no audiophile, but a lover of quality music....

My theatre is all set up with Lexicon, Rotels, Bose 901's and custom Subs....

The issue is a combination of mid life crisis and my colonial home... so here goes...

I own a pair of classic Gale GS401 speakers that I loved in the late 70's, powered by a Music Fidelity Synthesis amplifier... I now would like to run the Gales via tube technology for the beautiful sound that nothing else but tubes could subsitiute...

I looked at buying 2 off Mcintosh MC275 and bridging them as the Gales are considered thirsty for power. But I am fussy in what I do and capable of building my own amplifier or amplifiers...

So... with this in mind, my question to those out there is there any kit or custom design tube amplifier kits known to run the thirsty Gales ?

By the way, I live in Western Austraila and our power is 240 volts 50 htz

Look forward to further chatting,

Warren

Greetings from Canada Warren,

Over the years I have experimented with a number of reasonably priced high powered solid state amps to drive my Gale GS401s with limited results. Finally, I've decided to do the unthinkable and purchased a 50w p/ch tube amp made in China for $600 Can.

Innitially I was not over joyed but after some serious tube rolling I have come to consider this mismatch to be made in heaven.

I've replaced all supplied tubes with the following:

4 X 6550 SED C winged power tubes
2 X 5U4G Svetlana C winged rectifiers (1957)
2 X VT-229 CHS voltage amps (1942)
2 X 6SN7 Full Music Gold

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.