• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Rectifier mechanical buzz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My pair of JJ Matsushita 5AR4 supplying my SSHV's have developed a mechanical buzz after around 1000 hrs. The SSV is set for 60 mA each channel, the power transformers are hammonds 269JX, the transformers are not buzzing or hot.

I've had good luck with JJ's in the past but, I think I am going to source a pair of japanese 5AR4's.

Sound lke the right decision?

50 uf to 1.5k resistor to 5uf to SSHV . Shouldn't be too much capacitance, No issues show up with PSUD. The problem wasn't there at first. Going to try some Japanese 5AR4, if it is still there I'll dig deeper. I just don't remember ever having a retifier buzz/hum mehanically, hence the post.

As Philips owned both Mullard and Amperex, I'd say this data sheet is reasonably definitive. It shows a max. I/P cap. value of 60 μF.

Unfortunately, JJ has come to stand for "Jamona Junk", far too often. The OP's experience may be 1 more example of the phenomenon.

As the fact that Matsushita made their 5AR4s with Mullard tooling is quite well known, those tubes carry hefty price tags. I suggest you contact a reliable tube vendor, like Jim McShane and purchase a properly culled Chinese or Russian specimen.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.