• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Best input DHT tube?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
26 tentlabs lownoise filament supply on the left with the potted 12V transformer and tentlabs AD1 filament supply on the right ( 4V) the big 90watt 10ohms are note showed in my pictures they are on the front ..

thanks for your words Andy, this amp is born because of you :)

This is really up my street. I've been experimenting with different DHT small tubes for 3 years in 300b SETs. In terms of input tubes I found I liked in approximately this order:

26 - my preferred option for tone and overall magic
10Y - capable of great clarity and dynamics, but I missed the 26
01A - very good, but not as magical as 26 or clear as 10Y
30sp (VT67) - surprisingly good, less microphonic than 30
46 - usually a driver tube, but very neutral with good tone
1G6G/GT - surprisingly good but very microphonic, so needs special mounting

I currently use a cheap solution - two Hammond 156C chokes of 150H, in series making 300H.

Not that it matters Andy, but wouldn't two identiacal chokes in series be four times the inductance? (N-squared?) Not to nit-pick on you, but I just need to check on my own knowledge - that it isn't all wrong.

I have some 1G6Gs, think I might try them. How about 3A5s? I bought a bunch to use in guitar pedals, but my ignorent me didn't think about how microphonic DHTs must be, so I have them in a box waiting for a reason to be.

Two chokes in series are double the inductance and half the capacitance, so good news with the 156C.

1G6G is a misprint - should be 1G4G. The round plate GT version is also nice. These are quite microphonic. The 3a5 is less microphonic, and it's easy to find two or three rubber O-rings to slip over the bottle to dampen it further.

Andy

for the tentlabs filament , i have ordered the low noise model for the 26 and it is given for 1 amp max so after two hours of listening i have one side off with the temperature auto shutoff .. the side in fault has a 20cm cable to the tubes so i change his place and now have 10cm after the module and it seems ok ....... at this time! :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.