• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

EL34 Musical Machine Output XFMR suggestions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am currently gathering the parts to build a pair of monoblock EL34 Musical Machines but am stuck on the choice of output transformers. I'd originally ordered a pair of Audio Note TRANS-185s (6K primaries), but was told that Audio Note is waiting on materials before they can even build the transformers, so would I like to cancel? Given the choice, I am wondering what my options might be.

The local supplier (within driving distance) handles Hammond and Audio Note, but I went with the ANs because poinz didn't seem to like Hammonds in his 6V6 version of the MMs. If anyone has positive experiences with the larger Hammonds, I'd still be willing to give them a go. Below are a few options I've found so far. The ANs are kind of at the higher end of the price range I am willing to spend, but if the Lundahls are going to offer significantly better performance, I might be tempted to go with those. Thanks in advance for any input.

Audio Note TRANS-185 (USD 198)
Hammond 1645 (USD 93)
Hammond 1650R (USD 140)
Edcor CXPP100-MS-5K (USD 93)
Lundahl 1623/60mA (USD 240+36(transformer covers))

Attachments

• audiotropic%20el34%20musical%20machine%20(solid%20state).gif
    audiotropic%20el34%20musical%20machine%20(solid%20state).gif
    23 KB · Views: 318
I built a pair of the 6GK5/EL34 MM monoblocks using the 30W Edcor CXPP30-MS-5K transformer and I'm very happy, it has been my main amp up until I recently completed a TubeLab 300B SE. Now I switch between the two.

The CXPP100 (100W) may be a bit of overkill, and may suffer some HF losses. The amp output is around 12-14 watts...........

I also breadboarded a stereo version of the amp with Hashimoto HW-60-5K 60W transformers. It also sounded excellent but I chased some hum around due to breadboard wiring.

Last edited:

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Over the years I have bought a good number of Electra-Print transformers, (10 or 12) and have been extremely happy with every one. Drop Jack an email with your requirements and he will have something that will work. All his are custom made by him, you will not be disappointed.

You probably looked at LL1663 which are less @ $150 ea maybe because of single 5K primary and 8 ohms secondary. You also gain UL taps if you ever need them in the future. Lighter @ 1.35KG verse2.5KG also 40 W max verse 62W (5.6K) Hard to say how this smaller size would affect bass etc.

Dynaco A-470 (35W) or bigger A-431 (60W) clones for more bandwidth , both have 4.3K primary and multiple outputs. Also UL too. Dynakitparts and Triode Electronics has them.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.