• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Bulb in cathode?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was recently told about a scheme whereby the output tubes (in a p/p) are tied together to ground via a small lamp (light bulb). The output tubes have separate grid bias as well.

According to this guy, this was used on some older amps. I haven't seen it. Is this true, and if so, what is accomplished by having the non-linear resistor in the cathodes?

I once used a bulb in cathode of self-split PP, it was a toy project, but it sounds with an electric guitar incredibly!

I saw some commercial amp that run output tubes in class A, and filaments of preamp tubes were used as cathode as resistor for output tubes. They were shunted by capacitor. As the result, bias was more stable (almost CCS) by current, and filaments of preamp tubes were powered by DC.

I saw some commercial amp that run output tubes in class A, and filaments of preamp tubes were used as cathode as resistor for output tubes. They were shunted by capacitor. As the result, bias was more stable (almost CCS) by current, and filaments of preamp tubes were powered by DC.

The 1950s DanElectro/Silvertone guitar amps do that, too.

check the schematic:

Silvertone Download Page - silvertone-1433-manual-amplifier-schematic.pdf

Output PP 6L6s run their combined cathode current - about 22V/120mA - into [12V mode] 12AX7 heaters.

Works OK, but I don't believe the hard life of the 6L6s (from running 75mA, 22,5W) is justified by much sonic improvement.

OK, I understand the filament scheme. But my source (an old timer) claims to have seen amps where they used a small light bulb, like a #47 panel bulb, as the common cathode load, sometimes in parallel with a fixed resistor.

I'm thinking a bulb has a high positive temp coefficient, so an increase in tube current would make the bulb resistance higher and bias the tube back to lower current. Could it be just a protection scheme? I don't see any way the bulb can actually enhance normal operation.

Output PP 6L6s run their combined cathode current - about 22V/120mA - into [12V mode] 12AX7 heaters.

Works OK, but I don't believe the hard life of the 6L6s (from running 75mA, 22,5W) is justified by much sonic improvement.

6L6s are transmitting generator tubes, actually. They are nice when used in RF oscillators, biasing themselves by rectified RF they generate. But for audio it was a commercial step by RCA, to repackage them and push on consumer market. If you analyze their plate curves, in order to work in linear region they have to dissipate 150W that would melt them. For Hi-fi sound they must be backed, and anyway it would not be an optimal regime, just a compromise between sound quality and lifespan.

Perhaps I did miss something. I'm not intimately familiar with Pass's designs, but I did read his Zen stuff. In the article I read, he says nothing about inductance. He states that he's using light bulbs as cheap high power resistors that don't need heat sinks. He actually states that he's approximating a CCS by a high voltage source and large high power resistor. Do you have a link to a paper where he discusses using the inductance of light bulbs as a circuit feature?

I haven't measured one, but we used to use light bulbs as dummy loads for HF transmitters- I doubt that would have worked if their inductance was significant.

A lightbulb is a cheap power resistor, and it provides some stabilization since its resistance increases with average current. This property has been used for Wien bridge oscillators.

Yes.

Now, I'm playing with an amp with conventional 6L6 p/p, using grid bias supply. Can anyone see a benefit from tying the cathodes to ground through a bulb, or a combination (series or parallel) bulb/resistor? Is there a valuable "stabilization" effect in this context?

I'm not concerned about fault conditions and to my knowledge decent 6L6 tubes don't drift much.

What SY and Wavebourn have said pretty much covers the issue.
The simple way to see a light bulb as the "surrogate choke":
It's dynamic impedance at a small AC signal in comparizon with
the DC bias across it is several times higher than the DC resistance.
Unfortunatelly, this D. Imp. doesn't rise with frequency, it actually
drops at low freq. (let's say <1 KHz) due to the thermal inertia.
Nelson also pointed out some resonant effects within audio freq range.
Use of bulbs is beneficial in power supplies, where bulb is connected
between two "fixed" potentials - as a "resistor" feeding "zener".
In audio amps - you have to try and listen.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.