• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

I think I made a mistake

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
@Horntube: You would change the output transformers? Why? I thought that the dynaco st-70 transformers was of good quality... You would actually change them?

I would change nearly every output transformer & choke to Lundahl. Mains transformer is not that important. To equal Lundahl with a conventional transformer you need a huge one - it must be at least 2 times the size of a Lundahl. The Lundahl chokes doing wonderful things to the sound - never believed that it is worth to pay so much for the Lundahls.

Disabled Account
Joined 2011
I would change nearly every output transformer & choke to Lundahl. Mains transformer is not that important. To equal Lundahl with a conventional transformer you need a huge one - it must be at least 2 times the size of a Lundahl. The Lundahl chokes doing wonderful things to the sound - never believed that it is worth to pay so much for the Lundahls.
Okay you really learn me something here. I will get lundahl transformers.

thanks a lot, I will probably follow all of your advise you earlier gave me about resistors .

Edit: ohhh, they are expensive! So I need two chokes and two output transformers?!?
which model lundahl of ouput transformer and chokes do you recommend for my amp? Cheapest option, or do I even have a choice. I'm really starting in this hobby, so would need a couple of direction. I'm reading a whole lot on the net, but would need some confirmation and for now honestly I have no idea how to choose the right output transformer and chokes

Jay

Last edited:
the normal wirewounds do sound restrained and harsh.

In that case they are reacting exactly as they should do by being proper resistors with ideal temp coefficient. It's the peak current issue that causes alot of the conventional film types to soften up on impulse transients which they cannot handle. Remember, output stages displaying transient overshoot in the o/p tranny (see squarewave test enclosed) will show a reflected spike current in the cathode resistors and this is nasty for composition m/o film type resistors.Wirewounds are perfect for this app and there is no getting away from this fact.

The output stage should hold up whatever signal is presented to it.

If you claim the sound is different by changing the o/p stage cathode resistor types, then one should really examine where the sonic differences are occurring, perhaps in the earlier stages, or blame it on an average quality o/p tranny. The photo hold true for all output stages......from 7W upwards and je higher the power the more care in component choice.
The first casualty with a well designed o/p stage being overworked is the screen resistor ratings acting as fuses. If they blow that would be a warning which has to be investigated.

richy

Attachments

• unsnubbed op trans.JPG
    unsnubbed op trans.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 132
Well, first of all, what are those red circuits doing (those I circle in red on the schematics)? Do I take them off, they are going know where!

First, please double check the schematic against your amp to make sure that R1/C2 in fact are not connected to anything.

Second, did you read Post #41 & 42 ?

Perhaps it would be best to just start changing parts.

Good luck!

Disabled Account
Joined 2011
I refer to the poweramp. FT-I caps are not very dynamic and they do tend to sound lean & less colorful. Somehow the opposite of some Mundorf caps.

BTW, I'm not from the "component school", I design my own amps from scratch and I do repair jobs on McIntosh, Accuphase, Apogee etc.
oh I dont know why I had told you that I got russian ft-1; what I got is russian teflon ft-3. Are those better and could do well or I should get the mundorf caps?

btw do you receive my pm?

Disabled Account
Joined 2011
First, please double check the schematic against your amp to make sure that R1/C2 in fact are not connected to anything.

Second, did you read Post #41 & 42 ?

Perhaps it would be best to just start changing parts.

Good luck!
I have doubled check and my schematic is good. I do think I know why the circuits do that.

their is no error for v2 and v3. There is no separated cathode from the heater (pin 2 and 7) on the 6bg4. They make one with two different fonction.

for exemple the cathode(pin 3) of the 6gu7 is independant of the heater (pin 4-5)

Here is attached a schematic I found that really looks like mine that uses the same sort of (weird) circuit...

Attachments

• Audio amp 6B4_V1.pdf
    33.3 KB · Views: 58
Disabled Account
Joined 2011
If you can afford it change the mains to Lundahls too. Give me the specs for your mains & output trans please.
@ horntube: I didnt find the spec for the Power transformer T1 #512-23629A. I calculated the voltage out. its around 350 vrms center tap so in total 700vrms.

The goal of circuit squared in red on the schematic is to create a dc component of 60 volt on the v2 and v3 cathode.
I marqued that on the schematic 60vdc with 9vac peak to peak and the voltage of l1 r3 r5 r9 and r10.

Theres a ripple of a little bit less then 100mv p-p at the out.

I attached the arranged schema

Attachments

• Mono Amp Tube 4.doc
    64 KB · Views: 40
oh I dont know why I had told you that I got russian ft-1; what I got is russian teflon ft-3. Are those better and could do well or I should get the mundorf caps?

btw do you receive my pm?

Well, the FT-3 is only marginal better than the FT-1 but same problems - not very dynamic and pale sound. Don't get me wrong they are quiet good caps but the opposite of that what you want. Take the Supreme or even better the Silver in Oil from Mundorf and you will get Wagnerian drama, explosive dynamics, strong rhythmical flow, blitzkrieg like transients and full loaded bases at the freq. extremes. The Russian teflons are rather easy going & smooth without any edges, lacking at the frq. extremes.

BTW, I received your PM. My wife just had an car accident - nothing dramatic, sorry.

I looked through the schematic, I like this circuit. IMO they've done everything right, choke input, separate caps for the anodes with resistor decoupling, nice inverter design, quiet good!

BTW, I received your PM. My wife just had an car accident - nothing dramatic, sorry.

I looked through the schematic, I like this circuit. IMO they've done everything right, choke input, separate caps for the anodes with resistor decoupling, nice inverter design, quiet good!

Yeah I liked the DC coupled inverter, too.
Now, how to get Wagnerian dynamics from a noisy amp by changing 2 capacitiors...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.