I think I made a mistake - Page 10 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th August 2011, 06:25 PM   #91
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphythecat8 View Post
? It mayb be a ridiculous question but Im not sure...

@costis: if I can make my amp sounds better I dont see why I wouldnt try!
Sure, by all means! Asthere is no feedback around the transformer, you ll hear big difference. But, as other guys say here, your transformers are very decent already, maybe explore some other options first. The question remains: Do you like what you are hearing, right now?
Old 8th August 2011, 07:28 PM   #92
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaGuy View Post
Perhaps, but can we measure anything?

If there really are the dramatic tonal differences described, wouldn't that show up in a measurement of some kind?

Happy listening!
Good question about measurement.

You can have 2 amps from 2 different manufacturers measuring (identical THD and K2, K3, K4 etc, freq. resp. etc, speed etc) nearly the same but sound-wise different galaxies. This example is not hypothetical, it is real existent.
Old 8th August 2011, 07:51 PM   #93
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by costis_n View Post
Sure, by all means! Asthere is no feedback around the transformer, you ll hear big difference. But, as other guys say here, your transformers are very decent already, maybe explore some other options first. The question remains: Do you like what you are hearing, right now?
okay yeah thats what I will do. I simply cant afford lundhals right now.

I need to know if I change the transformer to lundhals(in about 6 month) will I keep the same caps and resistors value or they will need to be adjusted to meet the lundahl transformers??????

Last edited by murphythecat8; 8th August 2011 at 07:53 PM.
Old 8th August 2011, 07:57 PM   #94
diyAudio Member

Keep the same. Unless you change the circuit for some other reason, irrelevant with the transformers
Old 8th August 2011, 09:08 PM   #95
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HornTube View Post
If you never experienced a shootout with Mundorf caps, you will not believe it. And something even more weird: With any Supreme M-cap it will play 3-4dB louder!
3-4 dB louder can be measured very easily. Where is the data?
Old 8th August 2011, 10:16 PM   #96

Quote:
Keep the same. Unless you change the circuit for some other reason, irrelevant with the transformers
I will keep the same transformer for maybe a long time but I still need to know if I wont be throwing money away by having to get two times different caps...
Old 8th August 2011, 11:10 PM   #97
diyAudio Member

caps=irrelevant. buy them once. BUT do not complain if they do not give you Wagnerian dynamics, ok?
Old 8th August 2011, 11:14 PM   #98

Quote:
caps=irrelevant. buy them once. BUT do not complain if they do not give you Wagnerian dynamics, ok?
lol okay. The circuit is good. the voltage measurment seems okay. If theirs a place for amelioration it must come from the components?

What do you propose to do then?
Old 8th August 2011, 11:15 PM   #99

Quote:
The school that gives you the warm and fuzzy feeling on the inside! Simple as that.

Seriously though, I really really really cannot believe the microphonics and hiss are coming from the powersupply resistors!
The most interesting voltages for me would be on the anodes of the phase splitter, this wil tell if the differential amp is in balance at least.
Ill do that and report
Old 9th August 2011, 01:07 AM   #100

Quote costis_n:The most interesting voltages for me would be on the anodes of the phase splitter, this wil tell if the differential amp is in balance at least."

The voltage you asked are indicated in my schematics but I dont know if they are okay. The voltage are at the V4. How can I know if they measure fine?

Last edited by murphythecat8; 9th August 2011 at 01:19 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!