Velleman K4040 tube amp user feedback sought - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th August 2003, 07:46 AM   #1
gjo is offline gjo  India
diyAudio Member

Default Velleman K4040 tube amp user feedback sought

Hi

Has anyone recently built or listened to this amp? If yes, how does it sound? I'm looking at kit amps in the $600-900 range, and welcome suggestions.

Thanks

George
Old 14th August 2003, 03:09 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I've had a K4040 for about 2 years now. I was not happy with the way it sounded stock. The Sovtek EL34's it came with made it harsh sounding. I put better tubes in and that improved the sound a lot but still not as good as I hoped. I ended up converting it to use KT88's and did some other mods.
Some of the mods I found at this site:

Vellemam Mod site

Now it sounds pretty decent and has plenty of power and is much more reliable than it was stock and I use it as a backup amp.

Dave
Old 14th August 2003, 03:51 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi Dave

I always thought this amp used KT 88 valves. I downloaded the manual from their site and saw that they use EL 34s!

Anyway, this looks like a value for money amp that can be tweaked.

George
Old 14th August 2003, 04:49 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

George,

Why buy a kit and pay all that shipping and taxes on it, when you have to modify it and replace the tubes anyway?

Chassis and power transformers are cheap in India so at worst you'll have to import the output trans and some passives. Tubes can probably be found locally.

Build it from scratch.
Old 14th August 2003, 05:21 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I agree, unless you can get the kit really cheap you will be better off building an established well designed DIY amplifier. I wouldn't have bought the Velleman except for the fact I got it for $400. And even with the mods I don't think it sounds nice enough to use as my main amplifier thought its not that bad....

Dave
Old 14th August 2003, 11:55 PM   #6
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Quote:
And even with the mods I don't think it sounds nice enough to use as my main amplifier thought its not that bad....
Years ago I had quite a few customers coming in asking for me to improve the Velleman kits.

While they're easy enough to improve, they're so limited by their topology that it's impossible to make them sound great.

Even major surgery isn't money well spent with these amps.
There are a few kits out there that are definetely beter sounding, even without tweaks.

Cheers,
Old 15th August 2003, 01:58 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks for all the input.

I prefer to get a kit because getting hold of all the components here is a fairly time consuming exercise. I recently did the AKSA amp which was quite easy because all I needed to get were the transformer and the chassis.

Bringing the kit across on one of my trips to the US isnt a problem ( no taxes or duties!) Could you suggest any decent kits priced below $800? I already have three amps at home and getting approval from the "Home Ministry" for another one wont be easy!

Speakers-one of my systems is a 95db AriaR, and MTM system using Focal mids and Raven R1 tweeters. Another system uses Scanspeak mids and tweeters. I use 12 inch powered subs.

Thanks for any input.

George
Old 16th August 2003, 08:39 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Velleman K4040 tube amp user feedback sought

Quote:
Originally posted by gjo
Hi

Has anyone recently built or listened to this amp? If yes, how does it sound? I'm looking at kit amps in the $600-900 range, and welcome suggestions.

Thanks

George

Hi

I don't like it soundwise

The first stage distorts way too much, the second may be OK and the phase splitter should be a differential pair, rather than the kathodyne, as this one is short of breath in the originnal design

Furthermore the bias of the kathodyne is bad, they changed that later on.

PP amps should never be fixed bias, as this is decreasing the balance in the output stage.

Not my favourite amp, not even after all my mods I once did for a customer

regards
Old 23rd January 2010, 01:52 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default that site never works

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjo View Post
Hi

Thanks

George
Old 23rd January 2010, 09:52 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I think this is a nice kit Jukebox Revival winkel altough i dont know anyone who build it, or how you will get it to india

Hide this!Advertise here!