• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Diodes to tube

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone, I'm a newbie here @ DIY so please bear with me.

My question is this: I have recently built the 16LS kit from S-5 Electronics and I would like to switch the bridge rectifier chip for the B+ with a rectifier tube (5u4GB maybe?). Has anyone done this or does anyone have a good schematic to do this? Could I use a separate trans. for the 5U4's heater?:scratch:

Why would you want to do that?

It's something I definitely wouldn't recommend. The forward voltage of Si diodes is typically 0.7V. Have a look at the 5U4GB spec sheet and the plate characteristic. The forward voltage is a good deal higher, and can approach 100V or more. You'd lose a helluvalot of voltage by replacing the Si diodes.

For one project, I used a 5U4GB precisely because the PTX I had overvolted badly with Si diodes: 458Vdc (unloaded) as opposed to the design nominal DC rail of 350Vdc. This vintage, NIB PTX (a Stancor: 650Vct/150mA; 5.0V/3A; 6.3Vct/5A) was obviously designed to use this type in a 350V power supply. The current rating was right, but I needed to lose 100V, which was the forward voltage picked off the plate characteristic.

I did find, after many different search term combinations, find a reference to this type of connection. It stated to use a CR filter for each of the 2 cathodes, then tie the far end of the two resistors together to combine the two rectifier outputs. The resistors acts to balance the load between the two rectifiers. As an educated guess for this circuit, a 10uF cap followed by a 50R resistor may work. The same reference also stated that paralleling the transformer secondaries, as long as they are matched, and using just 2 diodes also works.

I did not want to start a new thread just for this, so,

I have a PT with two 300V secondaries and want to use two 6BY5GA in parallel.

Can I connect them like this, or is it better or just as good to parallel the two 300V secondaries and then parallel the 6BY5GAs and use only 2 diodes?

The series limiting resistors are not shown on the drawing.

Thanks.

Scott

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.