• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

got a custom 829b amp that i got laying around, need to know what driver to use

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
my buddy sent this to me as a ride-on in a package of tubes he sent me a few months ago. I worked out with him/my own analysis that the power tube must be a 829b as it has screen connections, but what do people typically drive these with? ill be buying the 829 tubes so i wouldn't mind buying the intended/required driver tubes to have a listen to this amp

walking through the circuit, it seems like a double triode input, with anode of triode '1' being coupled to triode 2, and equal cathode+anode resistance on triode '2' and capacitors on both anode and cathode acting as phase inverter for the dual beam tetrodes?

if i remember right, the resistor leading to the double triode is 275k, and the grid 2 resistor for the power tube screen was about 5k, so im guessing about 300v b+?

got some 15w rated PP transformers laying around, i think it should be good enough long as i keep volume level down?

heres a picture if it means anything at all
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
sounds conventional triode voltage gain, triode cathodyne splitter, pp output. 15 w should be plenty in iron, around a 10k load. From memory the 829b needs around 18v pp of drive a g1 in pentode on a 10k load, so that starts to identify your other tubes...

I've got some 829b's sitting around and they are on the list for a build... maybe for my 60th birthday...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.