how to use oscilloscope - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th May 2011, 03:43 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default how to use oscilloscope

Hi, i like to buy a DSO nano oscilloscope for my tube amp project. i only know how to use a digital multimeter but never use a digital scope meter before. Recently i noticed that something wrong with my diy tube power amp but no where to check with my digital multimeter, look like with terrible distortion. i heard that with a oscilloscope i can check what is going on with the signal in side my amp.
ok. now i like to know whether i can put in a signal taken out from the generator which is build in DSO NANO to my amp input. and switch on the amp with connect a speaker or 8 ohm resistor at the speaker terminal.and measure every part in side the amp to see whether the sine wave is the same with the generator? or.....
Thank you
Old 24th May 2011, 03:56 PM   #2
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

you could try googling oscilloscope.
There are a few, maybe many, instructions on how to use and interpret what you see.
There are some threads here that explain what is needed and how to use/interpret.
I think ESP also has a bit.
There are also small text books that tell you how to use various test instruments. I have a variety by Babani (various authors) and others.
Old 24th May 2011, 04:07 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
you could try googling oscilloscope.
There are a few, maybe many, instructions on how to use and interpret what you see.
There are some threads here that explain what is needed and how to use/interpret.
I think ESP also has a bit.
There are also small text books that tell you how to use various test instruments. I have a variety by Babani (various authors) and others.
Thanks Andrew,
I did tried in google but cannot get what i want. I am a beginner but i know tube amp with a few hundred volt and not the same with transistor. So, anyone can show me a link or any where for instruction to use the scope?
Old 24th May 2011, 11:52 PM   #4
xmas111 is offline xmas111  United States
diyAudio Member

if you have the time this is a pretty good video.

Oscilloscope School

John
Old 25th May 2011, 12:26 AM   #5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertccy View Post
i like to know whether i can put in a signal taken out from the generator which is build in DSO NANO to my amp input. and switch on the amp with connect a speaker or 8 ohm resistor at the speaker terminal.and measure every part in side the amp to see whether the sine wave is the same with the generator?
Yes, you've got the idea. You can also try square wave, will tell you some other things, but first, try sine.

Quote:
tube amp with a few hundred volt
Yes, you must connect the ground lead on the scope probe to ground on the amp. Big voltages will destroy some scopes, particularly PC scopes, so check the scope manual and check the amp with DMM first if you don't know the voltage.

Be careful, tube voltages can kill you. Old advice is to keep one hand in your pocket to avoid a shock across the heart.

w
Old 25th May 2011, 12:48 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakibaki View Post
Yes, you've got the idea. You can also try square wave, will tell you some other things, but first, try sine.

Yes, you must connect the ground lead on the scope probe to ground on the amp. Big voltages will destroy some scopes, particularly PC scopes, so check the scope manual and check the amp with DMM first if you don't know the voltage.

Be careful, tube voltages can kill you. Old advice is to keep one hand in your pocket to avoid a shock across the heart.

w
Thanks,
you are scaring me . The B+ voltage in my amp is 420vdc. so can i use the pocket digital scope (Nano DSO scope meter) to do that?
Thanks again
Old 25th May 2011, 12:53 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

hard to know, but I would be wary of anything that asked me to hold a probe on it at that voltage....
Old 25th May 2011, 01:31 AM   #8
Banned

Is it this one? Buy Oscilloscope dso 1200, portable Oscilloscope, handheld Oscilloscope, USB HandHeld Scopemeter Oscilloscope DMM 5.7" DSO1200+2yrs Warranty at Aliexpress.com

Maximum voltage on this one is 400V.

You can use a voltage divider, but if you are a beginner ...I think you are...

Quote:
i only know how to use a digital multimeter but never use a digital scope meter before.
... better to start electronics with solid state (transistors). Lower voltage, less risk to both you and scope. If you have a problem with this amp and you need to get it fixed, take it to an experienced person, even if you have to pay.

w
Old 25th May 2011, 03:30 AM   #9
TheGimp is offline TheGimp  United States
diyAudio Member

HP has some nice tutorials on Oscilloscope usage as does Tektronix.

Gopher Google.

Oscilloscope Tutorial | Tektronix
Old 25th May 2011, 01:41 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakibaki View Post
Is it this one? Buy Oscilloscope dso 1200, portable Oscilloscope, handheld Oscilloscope, USB HandHeld Scopemeter Oscilloscope DMM 5.7" DSO1200+2yrs Warranty at Aliexpress.com

Maximum voltage on this one is 400V.

You can use a voltage divider, but if you are a beginner ...I think you are...

... better to start electronics with solid state (transistors). Lower voltage, less risk to both you and scope. If you have a problem with this amp and you need to get it fixed, take it to an experienced person, even if you have to pay.

w
So, what brand of scope i should buy for my tube power amp? Thanks

Hide this!Advertise here!