6v6 datasheet - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd May 2011, 08:20 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 6v6 datasheet

I just checked some datasheets for 6V6 tubes and i found two sets of plate current curves. On one of them the grid voltage goes positive. could someone explain the difference between the two sets? Which one should i use???

thanks
Old 23rd May 2011, 08:53 PM   #2
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Where they coincide (e.g. negative grid) the two sets of curves should be the same, although perhaps on different scales. The positive grid curves would be used for Class AB2 or C. For most audio purposes use the negative grid curves.
Old 23rd May 2011, 09:25 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpupo View Post
I just checked some datasheets for 6V6 tubes and i found two sets of plate current curves. On one of them the grid voltage goes positive. could someone explain the difference between the two sets? Which one should i use???

thanks
Actually, I found three sets: two for pentode operation, one of which includes positive grid voltages and currents, and one for pseudotriode operation.

You could use any one, depending on what you're designing. For the most part, audio work would use the set that ends with Vgk= 0.

Back in the day, 6V6s were used a lot in RF applications, usually as frequency multipliers and intermediate drivers (Class C) in ham rigs. If you want more audio power than thye suggested audio operating conditions, you could drive the grids positive for Class AB2, depending on loadlines, plate bias currents, and plate dissipation.

Not done very often back in "the day", since Class AB2, Class B, wasn't so easy to implement if good sonic performance was the design goal. These days, a MOSFET source follower can easily drive grid current at very low source impedances for excellent sonic performance.
Old 24th May 2011, 10:17 AM   #4
Ian444 is offline Ian444  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Prower View Post
These days, a MOSFET source follower can easily drive grid current at very low source impedances for excellent sonic performance.
+1

Hide this!Advertise here!