• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Leaving filaments on?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My tube amps have separate switches for filament and B+. (shades of my AM transmitter days) Am I better off leaving the filaments on or should I turn them off (after the B+ of course) Thanks for any experiences in this area. BTW they are powerful amps using 8 EL34s each.

My tube amps have separate switches for filament and B+. (shades of my AM transmitter days) Am I better off leaving the filaments on or should I turn them off (after the B+ of course) Thanks for any experiences in this area. BTW they are powerful amps using 8 EL34s each.

Unnecessary use of electricity and generation of heat in my opinion.

Heat will shorten the life of electrolytic caps and I am sure the life of the tubes if you run them continuously with filaments on.

Yeah, me too. Turn the heaters off. Either running the heaters with no DC rail, or turning off the heaters with the DC rail still powered up will ruin most VTs. Heaters without DC ruins emission, and DC with no heaters poisons cathode coatings.

Bad news either way.

FWIW, in over 40 years of building tube equipment, this has happened to me exactly zero times.

Sy, I've had 3 filaments burn out on turn on in the span of a year. All were 3 out of 4 National branded 12AZ7's. They sometimes "flashed" on turn on. I replaced them with a couple of GE 12AT7's that survived the 1960-70's with me. About 2 years before that, an International Servicemaster branded 6681. Filament supply was from a 7812 v-reg. Never happened to me back in the good ol days.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.