• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Recommended Tube/Valve references?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've learned a bit on the SS side of amp building, and I've built a few Nelson Pass style amps.

I'm interested in learning about Tube/Valve amp design and building. Can someone recommend some references? When I Google, the responses are quite repetitive and not as specific as I'd hoped.

I'm curious about differences between tubes, general design, direct heating, power supply design, etc.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I've learned a bit on the SS side of amp building, and I've built a few Nelson Pass style amps.

I'm interested in learning about Tube/Valve amp design and building. Can someone recommend some references? When I Google, the responses are quite repetitive and not as specific as I'd hoped.

I'm curious about differences between tubes, general design, direct heating, power supply design, etc.

Get Morgan Jones' "Valve Amplifiers 3rd Edition" and "Building Valve Amplifiers" - both are entertaining and chock full of relevant tube audio design information, comprehensible theory, and projects.

I've learned a bit on the SS side of amp building, and I've built a few Nelson Pass style amps. I'm interested in learning about Tube/Valve amp design and building. Can someone recommend some references?

Most of what you know transfers. As for references, Pete Millet's Site probably has what you're looking for. Read the synopsis for each to decide what's right for you.

Most of what you know transfers. As for references, Pete Millet's Site probably has what you're looking for. Read the synopsis for each to decide what's right for you.

Yes, Pete Millet's site is good. One book he has there that is really "The Bible" is "Radiotron 4th ed.". The author tends to explain every subject first in simple terms, then goes back and covers more details and then makes a third pass. So you read as much as you like on each subject. (about 1,500 pages)
http://www.tubebooks.org/Books/RDH4.pdf
Read the first couple pages in each chapter and you will know more than most people.

A good web site that is at about the technical level of the Morgan Jones book is at the link below.
Merlin's style is also much like Morgan Jones. Both are easy to understand without being dumbed down.
It covers guitar amps but the basic theory is the same.
http://www.freewebs.com/valvewizard/
He has a PDF file that is a good introduction and covers triodes. This is the foundation of everything else.
http://www.freewebs.com/valvewizard1/Common_Gain_Stage.pdf

I think the above PDF file is the best introduction to designing with values you'll find.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.