Tube Socket Identification - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd May 2011, 04:12 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Tube Socket Identification

I'm a novice in the tube world as tube electronics were replaced before I was born. I came upon a hodge podge of parts (via a deceased relative) and wondered if there was an easy way to identify them for selling purposes.
The following is a list of parts and any identifying markings found on the part. Can someone tell me what the part is called and what it is used for? Any help is GREATLY appreciated!!
1. 10-pin tube socket with center hole. The brownish/black socket portion (looks like plastic) is around 2cm in diameter. There is a symbol on the face that is 2 capital C's separated by what looks like a simple lightning bolt. On the other side, there is an "888". The mounting holes on the bracket are exactly 2.6cm apart from inside edge to inside edge (of mounting hole).
2. 10-pin tube socket center hole (does not have mounting bracket). It is completely round except for one tangential edge that is flat (for a length of 1.1cm) socket is 2.5cm in diameter. The socket has an "886" on the top and a "3" on another part of the top. The bottom prongs look more like plugs than soldering points.
3. 10-pin tube socket with each pin plug (hole) marked with consecutive numbers from 1-10. Socket is shaped much like an eye (ellipse) and the base is brownish red in color. There is an "MX" on the top. One diameter is 3.4cm and the long diameter is 4.5cm. There is a notch on the edge of the base between plugs 1 & 2.

I have others but I think I'll just stick with those for now...
(is it possible to post photos with the text post?)
Thanks so much for any help!!
Old 23rd May 2011, 09:23 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

If #1 and #2 will take a standard 9-pin tube like the 12AX7 then these are sockets for two TV tubes of the early 1970's. Only those two types needed the socket. I've seen such sockets on tube testers but forgot the number of the tube types.

Hide this!Advertise here!