Fletcher cooke OTL article - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd May 2011, 05:15 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Fletcher cooke OTL article

I have been trying to find the original Fletcher and Cooke OTL article online with no success. Anyone have a pointer for me? It is public domain is it not?

Talk of transconductance amplifiers and the sometimes bad behavior of OPTs at low frequencies got me to thinking about the suitability of early OTL designs as transconductance amplifiers. It seems that one of the biggest problems with early OTL attempts is that it was difficult to get high damping. No problem if you want a gm amp.

It seems like direct coupled PPP CF output stages might be just the ticket for open baffle woofers with Qts lower than generally considered proper for OB.
Old 22nd May 2011, 06:00 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Figures that I would stumble on it looking for something else.

http://www.clarisonus.com/Archives/A...llower_Amp.pdf

Output Transformerless is not mentioned in the title so that is why my searches failed.
Old 22nd May 2011, 07:10 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Here is a discusion of different OTL circuites. One circuite just like this is described
using 8 6as7g tubes to provide 6.32W @ 16 ohms.

6C33C-B OTL Amplifier - Background and OTL Circuits
Old 22nd May 2011, 07:20 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks Woody. That looks like a nice tube for the application as it looks like it has plenty of current capacity which is the other problem with this topology. Of course if the plate dissipation exceeds 30W then the current capacity isn't that much greater than the KT88. However if this is designed to operate at such low plate voltages it might be possible to get an operating point where one could idle at 400mA or so. If so a quad of them might be able to make decent power into 8 or 16 ohms.
Old 22nd May 2011, 09:04 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

The problem with hollow state OTL is three-fold:

There are no "P-Channel" VTs.

This remains a high voltage, low current device. The cathode follower can't magically make it into what you really want: a low voltage, high current device. It's still the same loadline, and VTs don't like operating into nearly vertical loadlines.

Your choices for OTL power finals is strictly limited. Not many types were designed to source heavy currents. About your only choices are 6AS7s and their variants, or that Russian, triple-nipple job made for the MiG.

That Fletcher/Cook design is just plain ridiculous: less than 7W into 16R. Don't forget: eight 6AS7s is really 16 triodes, since the 6AS7 is a double triode. Cathode followers are terribly inefficient when operating into nearly vertical loadlines.

You'd do much better with a SEPP variation since this provides active pull-up and active pull-down (much like the output stage of a TTL gate). That means a Futterman, Inverted Futterman, or Circlotron design. (All of which are fundamentally interchangable.) Eight 6AS7s in one of those topologies could get you at least 20W, and more if you really spec-bust on the max current limitation of 125mAdc.

If you go with the 6C33C, these guys definitely need pre-conditioning before you put them into active service. I've seen a couple of suggestions for that:

1) Run the heaters only for 3 days, with all electrodes grounded.

2) Run then at a plate voltage not more than 100Vdc, while drawing enough current for near-max plate dissipation. Watch the cathodes until you no longer see any white spots.

In operation, it's imperative that you preheat before hitting them with the high voltage. The spec sheets for both types specifically call for this. Remember: these were designed for series pass work, and the heater insulation is a good deal thicker to stand up to higher voltages, so the cathodes are slow to warm up.

When mounting, make very sure you have good ventillation. The A Number One fault with this Soviet-era tech is that the pins are too thin. You definitely need to wire the sockets with silver solder, and supply adequate air flow past the socket to prevent the deterioration of the contacts. (MiG techs routinely replaced sockets every time they replaced the 6C33Cs.) Poor contacts lead to poofage, and your speeks will likely
Old 22nd May 2011, 09:09 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

This OTL design has been around for a while and the build quality has always impressed me.

Ip +h Hybrid EL509 SEPP OTL stereo power amplifier
Old 22nd May 2011, 10:11 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Given the number of contemporary references I take it that the Circlotron is the preferred option these days for most folks. Will have to do some research on these and see how they deal with the inherent imbalance of the SEPP (which it appears is a near kin to the mu-follower). I also recall seeing somewhere (may have been John B.) one based on PP white cathode followers.
Old 22nd May 2011, 10:37 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Inverted Futterman is also a pretty good and easy design....

The circlotron while more symetrical in its signal, has those two floating supplies to think about....

And, you'll need two sets of 2 independant floating-supplies--You cant use the same ones for both channels....
Old 22nd May 2011, 11:31 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I wonder about Kimmel's sweep tube version scaled down to smaller sweep tubes. I only need about 20 or maybe 30 watts with Zout around 50 ohms. Inverted Futterman huh? Another thing to look up.
Old 22nd May 2011, 11:38 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashaffer View Post
I wonder about Kimmel's sweep tube version scaled down to smaller sweep tubes. I only need about 20 or maybe 30 watts with Zout around 50 ohms. Inverted Futterman huh? Another thing to look up.
I built that, and with a pair of 6C33C at 210V plate supply, I got 56W RMS at just under point of clipping....

I redesigned it to remove the mosfet screen-drive and just used conventional cathode-follower driving the grids of the 6C33 tubes....

Its a complicated amp with those two diff-amps in the 'guts' of it, but does work well....

Hide this!Advertise here!