• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

I have 4 Pl504's. Are they best used as SE or PP ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
They are best used in TV sets as line output in the horizontal deflection amplifier or other switching applications. These tubes weren't build to match each other instead they should be able to withstand high voltage transients (off-switch spike from line transformer). This results in horrible differences not only in static parameters (bias), but particular in different gm. When G2-driven you don't have to worry about that BTW, since the G1 has far less distance to the cathode than the G2.
So far so good...

SE sounds horrible, I can't say anything to PP. Maybe you could try triode operation.

Your last sentence is..well..let me answer it this way:
In a lovely operating deflection amp (steep slope, high current delivery), a PL504 is better. In a lovely sounding audio amp (linear, few harmonic distortion), a EL84 is better. Simply because these tubes were made for a specific reason

They are best used in TV sets as line output in the horizontal deflection amplifier or other switching applications. These tubes weren't build to match each other instead they should be able to withstand high voltage transients (off-switch spike from line transformer). This results in horrible differences not only in static parameters (bias), but particular in different gm. When G2-driven you don't have to worry about that BTW, since the G1 has far less distance to the cathode than the G2.
So far so good...

SE sounds horrible, I can't say anything to PP. Maybe you could try triode operation.

Your last sentence is..well..let me answer it this way:
In a lovely operating deflection amp (steep slope, high current delivery), a PL504 is better. In a lovely sounding audio amp (linear, few harmonic distortion), a EL84 is better. Simply because these tubes were made for a specific reason

Nevertheless, TV horizontal line output tubes were used in some commercial amplifiers (BOGEN DB130 , SANSUI , ...) and many OTL amp's. Low maximal screen voltage and poor linearity are the main limiting factors. There are many better choices unless you're trying to build a lousy sounding P.A amp.
Used in S.E mode, PL504's will very likely sound terrible and I would not even consider this option for any good quality amp.

Some Cinema amplifiers used the forerunner of the PL504, the PL36.....

PL36 has a worse reputation than PL504 from what I gather....

I remember I had a SANSUI SM-80 receiver who used a pair of PL36/25E5 in its ouput stage in Ab1 PP for about 30W ouput power. Whatever I did (parts replacement,upgrades,etc...) it still sounded terrible and I finally gave up. PL504's are more powerful but certainly not better in audio applications. To be avoided.

Thanks for the replies. Looks like it isn't worth spending time and money on the 504. I have some EL84's too ! But since I have the 504's I thought I might as well try to do something with it. I'll try to see what it sounds like in triode mode if it doesn't take too much time.

I guess the PL509's ( which I do not have ) were better ?
Cheers.

Thanks Tony. I will explore this further. Apparently it can sound decent. I will know for sure only if I try it ! Since all parts will be different from other designs the only way to say how good will be by building one.
OP trafo is the only (big!) issue for me though I seem to have a way out of that one.
Thanks.

Some Cinema amplifiers used the forerunner of the PL504, the PL36.....

PL36 has a worse reputation than PL504 from what I gather....

I dont understand why..
Some time ago, I built a PP PL36 amp with the PL36's in triodes, working in class AB2.
It really doesnt sound that bad! If you search the forums, you'll find that some, (including me) have build one :)

I havent build anything yet with PL504 for audio however

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.