• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Where to find 212E tubes???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
And if you do succeed and find some NOS, better hope they are not gassy - I've yet to run across even one good NOS example of this tube. (Of a half dozen or so I have tested for others) Install them untested and they can DESTROY your amp.. It would be a spectacular show while it lasted..

Why not just invest in a pair of nice exotic metal plate GM70 instead?

Yeah I am finding out that this is an impractical venture. I have all the bits to finish my GM70 amp and thougth at the last minute to switch to the 212E as I am now in possession of a really cool off board power supply that will handle them.

Oh well, back to plan "A". I'll keep the filly power supply on the shelve just in case.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yeah I am finding out that this is an impractical venture. I have all the bits to finish my GM70 amp and thougth at the last minute to switch to the 212E as I am now in possession of a really cool off board power supply that will handle them.

Oh well, back to plan "A". I'll keep the filly power supply on the shelve just in case.

I went through much the same thing before building my GM70 amps which are still unfortunately awaiting the completion of their PSUs. IMO You'll never find a good, affordable pair of 212E, but there are still several metal plate variants of the GM70 that are reputedly pretty good and are relatively reasonably priced compared to the 212E or even most better 300B..

I did find some 212E at tube depot, but man....1600 for one tube is out of my price range and reasonableness range. I agree with the copper plate GM70. They would be a great improvement. I have a pair of good ceramics already.

Here are pix of the filly power supply. two legs of 24v 6a. pure DC!!! If nothing else, it will look good on the mantal.

Attachments

• IMG_4393.JPG
    IMG_4393.JPG
    130.4 KB · Views: 580
  • IMG_4394.JPG
    IMG_4394.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 561
  • IMG_4392.JPG
    IMG_4392.JPG
    133.8 KB · Views: 557
Yes, these WE 212 are expensive, I have seen a single went for $2500 not too long ago. I have built a pr of amp that used these. I plan ahead, so these amp can use 7 different output tubes in case the 212 are not available, simply by changing the tubes sockets , heater voltage and bias. Here it is:

I did find some 212E at tube depot, but man....1600 for one tube is out of my price range and reasonableness range. I agree with the copper plate GM70. They would be a great improvement. I have a pair of good ceramics already.

Here are pix of the filly power supply. two legs of 24v 6a. pure DC!!! If nothing else, it will look good on the mantal.

Attachments

• atac212.jpg
    atac212.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 511
In the 2005/06 years WesternElectric itself return made 300B and 212E for some time, just for the money as the prices were premium...

WE site offer at the time 212E at 2K dollars each, but also there is a English version I forget the code name.

And WE 300B price were 550 Obamas each...Gulp !!

I much prefer instead GM70 grafite plate or 805 Shuguang.
Good Luck, Gustavo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.