6 ohm speakers.... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd May 2011, 01:09 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 6 ohm speakers....

I have a chance to get a set of Pioneer CS-G303 for $40. They are 6Ω speakers. If I am using sweep tubes with the 3.3KΩ/100W Edcor transformers, do I want the 6Ω speakers on the 4Ω or 8Ω tap? If I am correct, putting a 6Ω speaker on the 4Ω tap, the primary will look like 5KΩ, likewise the 6Ω speaker on the 8Ω tap, the primary willl look like 2.4KΩ.

Thanks,
Ray
Old 22nd May 2011, 01:41 AM   #2
tomchr is online now tomchr  United States
diyAudio Member

I'd connect them to the 4 ohm tap. The higher primary impedance will give you slightly less max power, but lower distortion.

~Tom
Old 23rd May 2011, 11:37 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Well, I tested the 4Ω and 8Ω taps and my ears tell me the 8Ω was the better choice. That makes the primary of the transformer theoretically 2.475KΩ. I paid $40 for this set of Pioneers. Never mind that I had to do a 125 mile round trip to Scranton, PA......

Ray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00008-20110523-0718.jpg (430.2 KB, 165 views)
Old 23rd May 2011, 12:05 PM   #4
Loren42 is offline Loren42  United States
diyAudio Member

You can look for the manufacture impedance graph, if they publish one. If they don't, you can create one with a PC sound card and a free program for testing speakers.

What you will see is that the impedance across the spectrum will generally be lower than the rated impedance with peaks at the resonant frequency of the woofer and probably at the upper end of the spectrum where it exceeds 6Ω.

Generally, better speaker manufactures have a flatter impedance curve than some of the less expensive brands.

However, most of the graph will still be below 6Ω, so my point is that the 4Ω tap may better serve the need.
Old 23rd May 2011, 04:50 PM   #5
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Since they sound better on the 8 ohm tap that's where I would run them theory or no theory. Without doing an impedance measurement across frequency it is pretty difficult to know what the actual average impedance of the speaker is, and it could be for the most part higher than the stated impedance of 6 ohms..
Old 23rd May 2011, 07:20 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Since they sound better on the 8 ohm tap that's where I would run them theory or no theory.
Right. It's your amp and your speakers, hook them together whichever way that sounds best to you. I connect my Yamahas to my SSE to either the 4 or 8 ohm tap depending on the choice of music. They rock the best on the 8 ohm tap, but do the detailed stuff better on 4 ohms.
Old 24th May 2011, 01:31 AM   #7
tomchr is online now tomchr  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubelab.com View Post
Right. It's your amp and your speakers, hook them together whichever way that sounds best to you. I connect my Yamahas to my SSE to either the 4 or 8 ohm tap depending on the choice of music. They rock the best on the 8 ohm tap, but do the detailed stuff better on 4 ohms.
Makes we wonder if Jack Elliano of Electra Print's approach of using a 6 ohm tap for both 4-ohm and 8-ohm speakers would be the way to go if one was to order a custom transformer...

~Tom

Hide this!Advertise here!