• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Welborn Labs - Abysmal Service

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
As a general rule, I shudder and avoid audio companies that call themselves "Labs", because they are nothing of the sort. I've lost a lot of faith in many of the most well-known industry designers over the past decade, and that includes so-called gurus. As time goes by and I see elementary design errors and poor PCB's become the norm in audio products, I'm left wondering where and how they got their education and engineering licences, and how nobody seems to notice. I'm almost convinced that most are not qualified to even legally represent themselves as engineers, and that just for starters they are hobbyists brandishing their product with marketing nonsense. The shame is that people worship some of them with an almost religious conviction, and any attempt to intervene is met with total ignorance.

From what has been shared in this discussion, Welborne "Labs" appears to be a just-in-time (JIT) business model, aka Fly-by-night. That type of well oiled machine is run until it regularly comes to a grinding halt for repairs, leading to extended down time. I used to work for a large company like this, the largest in its industry and this was exactly what they did. They had one person doing inventory and they would order just enough to cover their projected demand for the quarter, or period, which of the two was applicable. When another customer called to place an order, or parts were defective (we had to reject as high as 70% of product from mainland China at one point in 2012) there were no additional parts to keep the machine going. The lead time for parts was in excess of a month and this left the customer hanging.

Myself, I don't mind waiting 4-6 weeks for parts, because I am used to it. But practices like ignoring emails and not issuing refunds when they should, kind of sounds like Welborne "Labs" is a firm believer in forgivable and non-repayable debts.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.