• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Vacuum Tube OTL power amp!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Just more progress,

Driver/ pre board completed.

Regards
M. Gregg

Attachments

• DSCN3582.JPG
    DSCN3582.JPG
    152.3 KB · Views: 620
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Post 162#

Error - S's & N's....late night...lol :cannotbe:

Should say DC heaters for the 6SL7's and AC for the 6SN7.

Markings are wrong on pic 2 should have 2x 6SL7 and 1X 6SN7.
Now corrected :cannotbe:

Wiring is correct to schematic. <<< accepting numbers for pin out should be 6SL series tube.

Back on track I guess...

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
Looking very nice....

My only concern, is the gate-stoppers for the mosfets....

They look to be mounted some distance from the fet itself, so could cause an issue.
--Bit difficult to see, as there's sleeving by the fet terms.

Personally, I mounted the zener diode and the G.S. actually on the fet itself....

But, Looking a very nice bit of construction, puts mine to shame! I'm getting quite excited for you now its nearing completion, Hoping it runs as good as it looks!

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Looking very nice....

My only concern, is the gate-stoppers for the mosfets....

They look to be mounted some distance from the fet itself, so could cause an issue.
--Bit difficult to see, as there's sleeving by the fet terms.

Personally, I mounted the zener diode and the G.S. actually on the fet itself....

But, Looking a very nice bit of construction, puts mine to shame! I'm getting quite excited for you now its nearing completion, Hoping it runs as good as it looks!

Alastair,

I thought the Gate stoppers may be an issue when I mounted them. I will move them onto the FET gate. May save some issues later.

Thank's
M. Gregg

Chassi is a recycled Oltronix PSU.

Top fabricated last night.

Signal tubes is RCA 5692 and 6j5.

Bought the russians at some hamfest never tried OTL building so this is going to be fun.

Found a 2x117 toroid in the drawers.

A nice toroid for small signal HT is on the wishlist.

Any suggestions on a good brand ?

Did you go ahead and use electronic chokes in PSU ?

I havent done the electronic chokes/ripple-filters yet, on the 'to-do' list though, Not shure about M.Gregg though, I think he's done something with them...

Flatheadmurre--

If your 6C33 are brand-new, dont forget to burn them in heaters only for a good few hours first, (A day or so is best) then an hour or three with +B supplied and no signal before you attach your speakers, Use a dummy-load across the speaker-terms--Just in case....

Its the brand-new, unused tubes that seem to give the biggest trouble with arcing/flash-over....

If your 6C33 are brand-new, dont forget to burn them in heaters only for a good few hours first, (A day or so is best) then an hour or three with +B supplied and no signal before you attach your speakers, Use a dummy-load across the speaker-terms--Just in case....

Its the brand-new, unused tubes that seem to give the biggest trouble with arcing/flash-over....
A week in standby is better....

A week's burn-in heaters only is possably a bit overkill....

48 hours is the longest Ive burned heaters-only as I recall, then with +B supplied for a couple of hours seems to sort 'em...

I think the shortest time I burned heaters only was about 8 hours...
Didnt have any issues with any of those tubes. Only ever had issues with the ones I didnt burn in at all--They arced in the space of an hour, Lesson learned!....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.