Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd May 2012, 12:09 PM   #771
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmasphere View Post
OTLs are not more sensitive in particular but Circlotrons can be, depending on how the power supply is built and the application. In an OTL application there is an incentive to keep the series resistances of the power supply rail to a minimum, to make maximum current available. People don't think about this very much, but OTLs have to directly deliver the current that is part of the power that moves the speaker, so they can have a lot in common with transistor amps in that regard.
I agree with you , as I mention that in the folowing thread post # 118 at 17th March 2012
New Tim Mellows OTL project , and yes there is people who think about this seriously .
Old 22nd May 2012, 12:30 PM   #772
diyAudio Member

Quote:
From the description it sounds like a Futterman spinoff. Interestingly, with 4 power tubes does 30 watts into 8 ohms. You can get 35 watts into 8 ohms with 5 6AS7Gs; obviously the pentode tube does not offer that much more power for the package. This is why I have leaned towards the 6AS7G as it is more linear, easier to obtain and less expensive.
Maybe it use the pentodes in triode connection , and this dosen't mean that the pentodes are inferior to the triodes that you mentioned before ( 6AS7G ) , IMO if this amp use the output tubes like pentodes then the power will be almost double , and you miss something that in a Futterman amp you can't DC coupling the output tubes with the drivers , like you can do in Circlotron amps .
Old 22nd May 2012, 07:56 PM   #773
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitris AR View Post
Maybe it use the pentodes in triode connection , and this dosen't mean that the pentodes are inferior to the triodes that you mentioned before ( 6AS7G ) , IMO if this amp use the output tubes like pentodes then the power will be almost double , and you miss something that in a Futterman amp you can't DC coupling the output tubes with the drivers , like you can do in Circlotron amps .
If I'm not mistaken you get more power out of the pentodes wired in triode on account of the output impedance being lower with triodes. There is a real trade-off having to do with pentode power vs output impedance.
Old 22nd May 2012, 10:34 PM   #774
diyAudio Member

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken you get more power out of the pentodes wired in triode on account of the output impedance being lower with triodes. There is a real trade-off having to do with pentode power vs output impedance.
Output impedance with pentodes can be low too even lower than triodes in some special cases .
Old 23rd May 2012, 03:57 PM   #775
diyAudio Member

If you run a lot of feedback, yes, but I think you will find something quite curious. If you add a lot of feedback, it will not increase the power available into lower impedances. This is why I believe that increasing negative feedback does not actually decrease the output impedance.

IOW the term 'output impedance' as it is used in amplifiers today does not refer to the actual output impedance of the amplifier- it refers to the servo gain combined with the actual output impedance. Its confusing! But this is why I say that triode operation is more advantageous, because if you run the amplifier open-loop (no feedback) then you get the truth of what the actual output impedance is.
Old 23rd May 2012, 11:06 PM   #776
diyAudio Member

O course NFB will not increase the output power it will only decrease the output impedance having higher damping factor etc ... , I am not talking about this case , but I believe that if we have a little bit higher G2 voltage than the anode voltage then the Plate resistance of the pentode will be lower therfore the output impedance of the amp will be lower too without applying any NFB ( actual output impedance as you called it ) .
Old 24th May 2012, 02:50 PM   #777
diyAudio Member

Yes, the fun thing about certain pentodes like the 6LF6 is how flexible they can be. Too bad they are no longer made- seems like the 6LF6 was the best of the gang (PL509/ 519 et. al.).

Have you experimented with screen drive?
Old 24th May 2012, 11:54 PM   #778
diyAudio Member

" Have you experimented with screen drive? "
No I haven't , You ? .
Old 25th May 2012, 08:11 PM   #779
diyAudio Member

No. But I have to admit its got my interest.
Old 25th May 2012, 09:22 PM   #780
diyAudio Member

Quote:
YToo bad they are no longer made- seems like the 6LF6 was the best of the gang (PL509/ 519 et. al.).
Why? What, in your opinion, makes them superior?

Best regards!

Hide this!Advertise here!