phase splitter issue - Page 105 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th January 2013, 07:46 PM   #1041
piano3 is offline piano3  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

The inputs are a balanced switched attenuator followed by balanced cathode followers. There is 22k series resistance in each leg of the attenuator with the adjustable element 4k7 at maximum attenuation. Each leg is referenced to ground via the usual 1 Meg grid leak
Old 13th January 2013, 08:19 PM   #1042
diyAudio Member

Usually the value of a differential system is that noise appearing identically on both legs is subtracted out by the receiver. Using the Concertina as a driver defeats this in two ways.

First, the Concertina’s power supply noise is present virtually unattenuated at the plate, but is attenuated by more than the triode’s mu at the cathode. This means that the differential receiver cannot cancel it out.

Second, stray magnetic fields (power lines, etc.) can induce voltages along signal lines. If the lines are routed similarly, and the line impedances are identical, the induced voltages will be similar and will be mostly canceled out by the differential receiver. But you can prove to yourself that this won’t happen with the Concertina by inserting identical high impedance signals into both legs. The different signals occur because the plate and cathode impedances are quite different.

I think that there are simple and better alternatives, but we discuss those, let’s see if you agree with what I wrote above.
Old 13th January 2013, 09:15 PM   #1043
diyAudio Member

Naturally, I agree with all this. I had considered it as an after the fact modification for CD input only-98% of my listening is LP/78's which my main system is totally dedicated to, and as I said, fully differential from cartridge to output. Space is tight, so I was attempting to keep the component count low and additionally, I do not need any significant gain so I was trying to avoid another 2 differentials pairs with their usual CCS's. It may be a better solution to build a separate amplifier for the CD as was my original intention.
Old 13th January 2013, 10:30 PM   #1044
diyAudio Member

I guess it depends on how far you want to go. I'd be a little concerned about the moderate amount of distortion that any triode I know would present when its P and K were loaded with a resistance as low as 1.5K and it were driven to line levels. But if you're OK with that and you're not concerned with power supply noise or stray magnetic fields, go for it!
Old 13th January 2013, 11:12 PM   #1045
diyAudio Member

Then we are in total agreement; 1k5 would be a stupidly low load feedback or nay; an input cap would be the better option using cathode bias and the available HT shared more or less equally. I am confident that I can get the HT sufficiently quiet, hum in the microvolt range. As for stray fields.........

Many thanks for your input!
Old 13th January 2013, 11:17 PM   #1046
diyAudio Member

My pleasure!
Old 31st May 2013, 01:58 PM   #1047
diyAudio Member

Nothing new, just testing how some posts look.

21CenMaida_1.GIF

21CenMaida_2.GIF
Old 31st May 2013, 02:00 PM   #1048
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.

Nothing new, just testing how some posts look.
Old 31st May 2013, 02:38 PM   #1049
diyAudio Member

Hi, hope this question is on topic,
what to do when constraints forced You to use sub optimal tubes for the function? I'm thinking specifically in a direct coupled concertina/input stage, made solely of *AX7 tubes. (HT limited to < 320V but very easy output tubes to drive)
Old 31st May 2013, 02:53 PM   #1050
diyAudio Member

What constraints are you dealing with? Can you be more specific about what you mean by "what to do"?

Hide this!Advertise here!