New concept of a power amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th May 2011, 06:07 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Default New concept of a power amp

Thinking about power amp without coupling capacitors, with local feedbacks around output tubes, I come to some interesting solution.
Everything is DC coupled, input capacitances of MOSFETs are bootstrapped by feedback from anodes of output tubes, and their bias depends on stability of current sources in the negative rail of power. When tubes start, or some of them dies, everything else is fine. It is safe amp, not self-destructive.

Looks like some nice new construction.

Was it patented by somebody before, or not yet?

The schematic is a bit incomplete: I could not draw more because free version of Rimu Schematic software limits number of elements on the drawing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Concept.jpg (130.4 KB, 529 views)
Old 15th May 2011, 07:47 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Very interesting indeed. The feedback from plate to source makes some kind of 'super anode follower'? Some similarities with my DC coupled current mirror amps, that have been working faultless for a decade now, ie no stability problems even tho direct coupled.
Old 15th May 2011, 10:31 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

two voltage followrs fighting for control.
I dont see where they forgive each other to agree a quiescent current?
Old 15th May 2011, 10:58 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hey A,

Interesting idea. Still it doesn´t make sense to me.

Iq for the left MOSFET is set by R1. Then you have a current-source where current is set by R13 at the bottom that also should set Ig.

If I for some reason should be right, one might substitute the CCS with a gyrator?

Ooops Kenpeter, our posts crossed;-)!

EDIT: Maybe something like this as SE?
Attached Images
File Type: png ana.png (94.2 KB, 425 views)

Last edited by revintage; 15th May 2011 at 11:14 AM.
Old 15th May 2011, 03:07 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I think the feedback amount for this setup will be very low due to the Mosfet source impedance being so low. Basically becomes current thru the feedback resistor versus the delta-Vgate*MosfetGm. But then the Mosfet forward gain (CCS loaded drain) increases the loop gain enormously to compensate. Still, the bias point will not be stable against Mosfet temperature drift due to the huge gain at the Drain. Revintage's gyrator looks to be necessary.

I have modeled a somewhat similar circuit that uses the P channel Mosfet similarly, but instead of input signal driving its gate, I made the bottom drain-loading-CCS a driving pentode. I thought of it more along the line of a modulated CCS load (the P Mosfet) for the driving pentode. The pentode current then has to equal the modulated CCS current, with large loop gain available (CCS versus pentode current) to make it so. An additional stabilizing feedback (not temp. sensitive) went back to the driving pentode screen grid.
Old 15th May 2011, 04:35 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Have simmed and by substituting A´s R5(470k) with 200k distortion seems to be OK.
The problem should be the input capacitance of the MOSFET.
Old 15th May 2011, 04:42 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

The feedback to the Mosfet source is tracking the gate input signal, so should increase the input Z (so lowering Cinput). Crss from drain to gate would be important though. P channel parts also have the worst capacitance specs. Another issue is the high impedance that is driving the output grid, but feedback controls that (at least for tube turn on, but not for turn off).

Last edited by smoking-amp; 15th May 2011 at 05:01 PM.
Old 15th May 2011, 04:47 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Originally Posted by revintage View Post
The problem should be the input capacitance of the MOSFET.
That's why it should be better to use P-type tube than MOSFET.
Old 15th May 2011, 04:55 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
That's why it should be better to use P-type tube than MOSFET.

But seriously, with a decent driver like E88CC, Fu will be in the ballpark of 75kHz with IRF9610.

Quote:
The feedback to the Mosfet source is tracking the gate input signal, so should increase the input Z (so lowering Cinput). Crss from drain to gate would be important though. P channel parts also have the worst capacitance specs. Another issue is the high impedance that is driving the output grid, but feedback controls that (at least for tube turn on, but not for turn off).
Whatever causes it, hf-response sucks.

Last edited by revintage; 15th May 2011 at 05:23 PM.
Old 15th May 2011, 05:00 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

6L6P ?

Hide this!Advertise here!